One Last Day: Part 1

Padmé paced the apartment while she waited for Anakin and Obi-Wan to get back. Ahsoka had accompanied her back to begin to retrieve some of their belongings from the trip, but the other two Jedi were supposed to be speaking with the Council.

     Anakin, Padmé knew, was going to request to spend another day on the planet to settle the matters with the local authorities, which would enable all four of them to spend time together with the baby. The only concern Padmé had involved the knowledge that their charade was now over, which meant that even Obi-Wan would not have a reason to confirm Anakin's reasoning to stay there another day.

     Ahsoka could sense her worry as she gathered her own bags, and she watched as Padmé kept shifting her gaze between the door and the small crib where the baby slept. She knew that Padmé was holding off packing for as long as she possibly could, as it would take her awhile, and the Jedi were supposed to accompany her back to Coruscant.

     So, when Anakin and Obi-Wan did return, Padmé couldn't hide her questioning expression of whether or not they would be leaving.

     However, when Anakin looked over at her as they walked inside, he gave her a small smile, and she immediately felt relieved.

     "You can hold off on further packing, Snips. Looks like the Council agrees that we should spend another day here to settle things with the locals. We will leave tomorrow evening instead."

      Ahsoka rolled her eyes good-naturedly, but Anakin wasn't even paying attention. 

     "Will that be alright with you, Padmé?"

     "Of course," she replied, deciding to turn her attention back to the baby so as to hide her own grin.

     Obi-Wan walked past the young couple, but eyed the baby from a few feet away.

     "So, this is the one who's been causing all the trouble?" he asked teasingly.

     "So it would seem," Padmé said while gently rocking the crib. "I have a question though, for all of you Jedi."

     Anakin looked around at his former master and his padawan before his eyes came to rest on his wife and the baby. "What is it?"

      "How do you tell if a baby is Force sensitive? Can you already sense it? I've always wondered if you could tell from birth."

     Anakin nodded, but it was Obi-Wan who spoke up.

     "I can sense that this baby is reasonably in tune with the Force, though when I look at him, his presence is more pure and light than it would be if he were older and had a more distinct connection."

     "So, I suppose this really was more like the situation where Cad Bane was involved before, right Master?" Ahsoka said thoughtfully, setting her bags aside. "I mean, if you think that the Sith are after just one baby, it makes you wonder if that baby would be very strong with the Force, but they took a child who will probably grow to have more average abilities. I suppose that means they are just trying to turn anyone they can."

     "Well, maybe the Sith learned their lesson the first time and thought it would be easier to abduct just one child from an orphanage where they might go unnoticed. They don't seem to be targeting those who are abnormally strong with the Force, like you said, but the fact that they are still attempting this is... not good," Anakin replied.

     "So, what will happen to him now?" Padmé asked warily, glancing at him.

     Anakin shared a look with Obi-Wan. "Well, he's a bit younger than most children when they're taken to the Temple, but--don't worry--he's not going back to the orphanage. The Council has found a family on Coruscant willing to care for him until he's a little older."