A Little More Freedom

Obi-Wan sipped his drink slowly as he watched everyone mingling throughout the mid-size room. Today was another luncheon, albeit with a larger group, and he was beginning to feel unsure about this mission. His padawan and the Senator... well, of course he knew there was something between them, but the public displays of affection felt too risky to him. And then there was Ahsoka, who had already snuck out with the Bonteri boy once.

     Sighing, he stroked his beard. Now wasn't really the time to worry about attachments.

     "Obi?" a soft voice whispered behind him.

     Or was it?

     He turned around to where the Duchess was hidden.

     "You shouldn't be seen talking to me," he said casually, taking another sip.

     "I had to know what's going on," she commented, taking a small step forward.

     Obi-Wan noticed that she was wearing a dress he had never seen before: a pale green gown with a shimmering drape that covered her shoulders.

      He raised one eyebrow at her at first, but when he realized she wasn't going anywhere until she got some answers, he responded, "Anakin and Padmé are undercover as a fugitive couple and are waiting to rescue a Force-sensitive child."

     Satine frowned ever so slightly at this. "Why the need for secrecy?"

     "The child has been abducted by the Sith."

     "Did you locate the parents?"

     "The child was orphaned already when the Sith came."

     "How awful," she said quietly.

     "Vinorin, we have been looking for you," Anakin said from Obi-Wan's left.

     Obi-Wan glanced over to see his padawan, Padmé, and Ahsoka standing there patiently.

     "Of course, Sir. I was just about to offer the Duchess a drink."

     "Shiemma and I were thinking of taking a walk outside in the gardens," he continued. "Would you like to join us, Your Highness?"

     "That sounds lovely," she responded, eyes gleaming as she looked at Obi-Wan again.

*****

     They managed to find a suitable hiding place behind a shed reserved for maintenance technicians. There, everyone seemed to sigh with relief for a moment.

     "So," Padmé started first, breaking the silence. "How have you been, Satine?"

     The Duchess took a good look around before sitting down on a nearby bench. "I'd feel a lot better if I wasn't here. I know many of these guests are plotting to take down Mandalore."

     "I'm sorry," Padmé said sympathetically. "I'm also sorry for keeping you in the dark."

     She shook her head. "There's nothing to apologize for. Sometimes secrecy takes priority."

     Obi-Wan formed a small smile. "Sounds like you're speaking from experience, Your Highness."

     "Oh, shut up, Obi," she responded, causing the others to look at them in surprise.

     Satine waved a hand as if to dismiss them. "We're all friends here, what's the point in acting formal? I do have to ask though, how long are you going to be staying here?"

     Obi-Wan and Anakin shared a glance. "Until the child is found."

     Padmé watched the two of them closely, as did Ahsoka.

     "You don't think we will successfully get the baby by the week's end at the pickup, do you?" Ahsoka asked, beating Padmé to the question.

     Anakin put a hand on her shoulder. "Master Yoda spoke with Obi-Wan and I before we left the Temple. He says that the Force is dangerously clouded around them, and he does not know how this will end."

      "Isn't there anything else we could do to make sure nothing goes wrong?" Padmé inquired.

     "Not really," Anakin replied. "If we interfere at the wrong time, there's no telling what could happen to the child or to any of us."

     "Are you sure we couldn't send someone to search the area of the pickup early, or possibly figure out who's in charge of the deal?"

     "Well, actually," Obi-Wan frowned. "There is something we could do. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier."

     "What?" the others asked simultaneously.

     "You aren't going to like it."

*****

     "You were right, Obi-Wan. I don't like this at all," Anakin responded hotly.

      The two of them stood watching as Satine and Padmé fussed over the three teeanagers, fixing their outfits, brushing hair, and making commands. The three teens glanced at each other sheepishly, not daring to disobey the motherly figures.

     "Don't you dare speak in Mando'a out there, Korkie," Satine said as he mumbled a remark under his breath.

     "And be careful with your accents," Padmé said, adjusting Ahsoka's new headpiece.

     "How did they manage to buy so much in one hour?" Anakin asked quietly. "We only just agreed to the plan."

     "I feel like this is all a bit much, Padmé," Lux told her as she brushed back his hair, but the glare that she gave him immediately silenced him.

     Seven minutes and twelve more complaints later, Padmé and Satine stepped back, admiring their work.

     For once, the three teens looked exactly like three people their age.

     Ahsoka tugged on her dress. "Don't get me wrong, I love being a girl, but do I really need to wear this? If something happens while we're out, I might rip it."

     "Ahsoka, you look beautiful. You're wearing the dress, and it's going to be fine."

     Korkie and Lux glanced at each other then. Lux shrugged, and Korkie swallowed.

     "Where are you going again?" Anakin asked, quizzing them.

     "An apartment on the southern side of town for our friend's party," they chorused.

     "And where are you actually going?"

     "Apartment number seventeen in Ohuttu Plaza near the private district."

     "Good."

     Everyone was silent for a moment.

     "Should we get going--" Ahsoka began.

     "Let's lay some ground rules first," Anakin suggested, before she could finish.

     Everyone's attention shifted to him, and Ahsoka thought for sure she was in for it this time.

     "Keep your microchips on at all times. Do not split up. Do not start any fights. Do not do anything that could blow the mission or get us caught, and..." he looked at Ahsoka.

     Her gaze lowered slightly, waiting for him to say something about Lux.

     "Don't do anything that I wouldn't do, Snips."

     A relieved grin found it's way onto her lips instead. "As you wish, Master."

     The three of them made their way out the door, eager to leave.

     "They'll be fine," Obi-Wan assured the others. "I can feel it."