i1

imagine that you and Damon get in a fight because of his anger issues
—————

As he drives, you glance over at Damon's face, still smoldering underneath his stony expression. His rages seem pointless to you, although you never say so.

What was supposed to be a fun night at the Grill turned into a bloodbath at the hands of the one and only, Damon Salvatore.

"You need to have some self composure , you know." You say, aggrieved. To say you were angry would be a major understatement.

Damon huffs in return. He tightens his hold on the steering wheel causing his knuckles to turn white. "Oh yeah?" He snarls more than speaks. "What else do I need to have?" He curtly says.

He was being too difficult for you to handle. At the Mystic Grill, Damon and you were laughing the night away when he had got up to get more drinks. In his place, a young man had sat....
-
"Now what is a beautiful girl like you doing here alone?" He had slurred, taking a huge sip out of his drink. Obviously drunk.

"My boyfriend's actually gone to get some drink." You had replied, focusing your attention somewhere else.

"And I'm supposed to believe that?" The man chuckled, placing a hand on your lower back that you immediately swatted away.

You had begun to look for Damon who was nowhere to be seen. "Actually he'll be here soon. You might want to go" Not very sure yourself.

"Sweetheart.." He began while you immediately cringed. He leaned closer to you, as you tried to edge away. "So pretty you are." He traced a finger down your cheek as you backed away in disgust.

The man towered over you. "Oh com-" Then suddenly, his mouth widened. Behind him, Damon stood, holding out his heart as the man fell in a heap on the floor....
-
"Just some control would be good to begin with, thank you." You shoot back at him as he rolls his eyes. "You don't have to resort to killing all the time." You half shout.

"I was protecting you." He raises his voice, rigid with fury. Eyes fixated on the road.

"Maybe that's the problem. Maybe you need to finally realise that I can protect myself." You yell, gesturing with your hands.

"You're just a frail human." He states simply as if satisfied by the dumb reasoning he provided. "A random guy in the bar can hurt you and there'll be nothing you can do about it."

"He was drunk, Damon." Exasperation weighing heavy on your voice. "What I wanted was for you to scare the man away not rip his heart out."

The veins protrude from under Damon's eyes indicating an increase in his fury. "I am keeping you from harm, Y/N." He stresses.

You can literally feel the anger radiating from his skin. "What if I don't want you to...?" You say, with a sigh.

At this, Damon pulls over his Camaro and turns to look at you. "You won't last a day." He sneers.

You are taken aback by this simple statement. He, very carelessly implied that you aren't strong or mature enough to handle yourself out there. You were sick of Damon using you as an excuse for his lack of self control.

"Oh." You exhale. "Fine."

Done with this conversation, you open the door of the car onto the deserted road, intending to leave.

"Wait, what are you doing?" He asks, as he leans over to hold your wrist preventing you from leaving.

"What does it look like Damon?" You say, tiredly. "I can't be in the same space as you right now." You snatch your wrist from his grip and head out, slamming the door behind you.

Damon stares at you, dumbfounded. He rolls down the car window. "Come on, let me drop you home."

You ignore him. Thrusting your hand in your pockets, you begin to walk. Damon trails behind you in his car, headlights flashing brightly.

"Why are you like this?" He shouts, from behind the car window. "This is why I have to protect you. You are just too careless."

You again, ignore him and start walking at a higher pace, refusing to look back.

"Come on, Y/N. Stop making a fuss and get in the goddamn car." He shouts.

"Leave me alone, Damon." You state dryly, no heat in your voice.

Your house was another 10 minute walk away and you were determined to walk there.

For another two minutes that followed, it was the same scenario. You walking ahead with Damon following you in his Camaro.

But then suddenly, Damon drives around you and stops his car in front of you causing you to come to a halt. He gets out of his car and walks over to you taking small uncertain steps.

"Please." You plead. "Just leave me alone. I can't even stand to look at your face right now." You turn away.

For a split second, a heartbroken expression seems to take over his face which he immediately replaces with a stony and blank one.

"You know, I really couldn't care less right now. Let me just drop you home. Safe." He sighs.

"Is it me? Is it me Damon?" You begin, turning towards him as he stares at you confused. "Do I bring out this worst part of you? Why am I holding onto this one shred of humanity that you might have even when you constantly prove to me that you're a cold hearted jerk that just needs an excuse to plot his next murder."

He frantically runs his hand through his hair. "No, I-"

"This is what it is, Damon. You say you're protecting me when all you're doing is exerting your male vampire dominance." You finish, gazing at him intently for answers.

"This may seem messed up," He begins with a step closer to you. "But you, you are the highlight of my 180 years on this Earth and I wouldn't want anything to hurt you." He rubs the nape of his neck. "And yes I may do very questionable things sometimes but that's just because I love you."

"You can't kill people and claim that you're doing it to protect me." You say, taking his hand in yours. "Damon, you need to learn how to deal with a problem instead of eliminating it completely."

The fury that each of you withheld has now faded away making way for softness and adoration.

"I don't know, Y/N. That's just who I am." Damon replies, shrugging his shoulders.

"I won't force you to change but the Damon I know, would try, at least try not to resort killing all the time. For me. Damon, just do this for me. Have some self control."

He sighs in defeat. "Fine, I'll try. But only for you." He mumbles. This immediately brings a smile to your face. Hearing that Damon is going to try to have some composure is a very comforting thought.

"Come on, can we get you home now?" He says as he holds out his arm for you take. You obediently obey. Leading you to the passenger seat, he holds the door open for you as you make your way in, smiling at his chivalry.

And that's how you and Damon finished an argument with a constructive discussion leading you to believe that maybe there was hope for Damon. Smiling at the thought, you lean back onto your seat as Damon drives away.