i16

imagine Damon scares you after he hears bad news
————————

"Fuck!" Damon exclaims, punching the inside of the car door. It is no ordinary punch. It is a full blown vampire punch, causing the plastic moulding of his Camaro to crack.

This, indignation and rage-filled action causes you to flinch besides him as you suck in a sudden sharp breath, subconsciously edging away from him.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" This time, the steering wheel endures Damon's torture. After striking it one too many times, he leans back against his seat, holding his head in his hands, ignoring the way your stomach lurch and and the way your breaths become rapid and shallow.

It was going perfectly fine until the phone call. Alaric had called. You had recognised his voice but could not make out what he was trying to say. All you knew was that Alaric was muttering reassurances and Damon, curse words. So now, here you are, sitting in the parking lot of the Grill absolutely ridden with fear. It was not that you feared what Damon would do to you. It was more like the fear of what he was capable of doing. The elder Salvatore was known for lashing out in extreme circumstances and judging by the phone call, this could easily be considered as an extreme circumstance.

"Damon?" You whisper, voice barely audible. You did not know what to do. A part of you feels that Damon needed to deal with whatever that was happening alone, but a part of also did not want to abandon him. So the best option was to approach him cautiously.

He snaps his head to look at you, the movement alone causing you to flinch. "What?" He sounds ...irritated.

"D-Damon what happened?" You say, moving closer to him but not too close.

With a seething look, "Remember the whole Klaus forcing Stefan to drink human blood again?" He begins. You give him a nod to indicate that you do in fact remember. "Brother dearest murdered a whole village today. 40 people to be exact." Damon sneers.

You stare at him, mouth agape and eyes wide-eyed with shock. So it is the other brother you have to fear? Before you can ponder further on it, Damon punches the steering wheel again. A bit more fiercely and a bit more loudly. Without realising, you coil away from him, bringing a hand to your mouth as you gasp out loud. No, it is the same brother.

Damon seems to have caught on. He tilts his head to look at you and finds you inched as far as possible, away from him, hands gripping the car door tightly. His enraged expression immediately softens and he lets out a sigh. "Y/N, I-" He reaches a hand to place on your arm. Upon the slightest contact, you snatch your arm away from his touch without thinking.

Your eyes go wide when you realise what you've done, unrealizing. A heartbroken expression rests on Damon's face as he finally grasps that you are afraid. Attempting to cover up, you quickly bring your arm back to where it was and lightly touch his hand but that is just adding insult to the injury.

"I scare you." Damon says, more stating than asking. His voice a tiny bit raspy from all of the screaming and now holds a more sorrowful tone.

You frantically shake your head as tears pool in the corners of your eyes, "No Damon-"

"God, I scare you." He is disappointed and angry at himself. It is clear.

"No!" You begin as a traitorous tear escapes your eyes. You quickly wipe it away with the back of your hand, "I don't know." Your voice quivers slightly. "Maybe a little..."

Damon lets out a groan and breaks his eye contact from you, turning to look outside the window. You sit in your seat, tears rolling freely yet silently down your cheek. Unable to help it, a sob escapes your lips and Damon breaks his staring contest with the trees outside to look at you.

"Hey, look at me," Damon says sternly, bringing out a finger to tilt your chin upwards.

You shake your head, refusing to maintain eye contact with him as tears profusely run down your cheek.

With furrowed brows and a determined look, "I am sorry. But Y/N, baby, you do not have to fear me. I may get angry at the world sometimes. Okay maybe all the time but you need to know that I will never, I repeat, I will never do anything to hurt you. You are the last person on the planet that should be afraid of me. I promised myself that I'd protect you from all of the dangerous vampire shit." He then lowers his voice, "Maybe it is me you need protecting from, after all."

You turn to look at him, "No. Damon, no! I know how this is going to end." You lean forwards in your seat. "You'll say some unnecessary rubbish about wanting to let me go to protect me and all but I can assure you, I am not going anywhere. Yes, you scare me sometimes. But it is usually because of how you behave with others or how you cope with your anger. Not because I fear that you'll hurt me. Damon, I know you. I know that you will never ever even think about causing harm to me."

"Look at you, Y/N. You're scared. You're scared of being in this car with me."

"No-"

"One good thing and I mess that up too." He buries his head in his palms. "Please don't be scared of me."

"Damon," You softly begin. "I love you. I love you but the fact that you cope with your anger by ruining stuff," You gesture to the car door. "That makes me slightly nervous. But that is basically it."

"Come here, you." He opens his arms and engulfs you in a warm hug as your body loses its tension and warms up in Damon's muscular yet gentle embrace. "I love you so much. Never forget that." He whispers against your hair.

"I won't." You smile.....