001 A PRISONER TO LIFE

CHAPTER ONEA Prisoner to Life*tw - verbal abuse, self harm, allusion to physical abuse, brief suicidal thoughts

CHAPTER ONE
A Prisoner to Life
*tw - verbal abuse, self harm, allusion to physical abuse, brief suicidal thoughts

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     IT WAS HARD TO TELL WHICH SCENARIO WAS WORSE. Whether it was living in her own personal hell with nothing but isolation or dying and simply becoming nothing. She just didn't know which one would be worse than the other. She already knew what the first one was like since she already did live a life that was nothing but isolation and she still had yet to know what the second scenario was like. She was sure that no one would miss her if she were to end it all herself. She had no friends, her mother often passed out from having too much to drink and her father took off before she even turned a year old. She often wondered where he was and wished that he would come back for her but for everyday where that hope didn't come true, it slowly dissolved until it became nothing. Over the past sixteen years of her life, it became nothing but hopes and dreams that never came true, leaving her with nothing to look forward to and nothing to live for.

     When she looked outside the window, she saw kids of all ages playing in the streets and she wished that she could join them but knew that her mother would never allow it. She would rather keep her inside the walls of their home than let her daughter outside where there were endless possibilities for something to go wrong. Zelda was sure that her mother just didn't want to risk being held responsible if something were to happen so the easiest solution was to keep her inside where there were no risks.

     Although she was not able to play outside with the other kids in her neighborhood, she still had ways to entertain herself whether that was playing dominos, a game of solitaire with a deck of cards or even just listening to music on the radio. Living in a small village in England had its perks. There were no loud noises, it was calm and there was peace but it had its downsides as well, one of them being that everybody knew everybody so there wasn't one thing that happened and didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the people. That meant that everyone knew her family and that Zelda wasn't allowed out of her house unless it was for her chores.

     "Turn that bloody noise down!"

     Zelda turned her head so fast she nearly gave herself whiplash and she noticed her mother sitting by the window with a bottle of wine in her hand.

     "I'm sorry," she said, turning down the radio until it was near complete silence. "Why can't I go outside and do stuff with other kids my age?"

     "Are you mad?! If you go out there and something happens, they'll hold me responsible. I can't see why anyone would care anyway since you're not even mine to begin with," the older woman said before pouring the red wine into a glass and taking a large sip while she lazily held the bottle in her other hand.