Twenty - part three

(15 years old)

It was a particularly cold day. The Hogwarts students were preparing for their finals, which would be conducted in two weeks. Remus' transformation was due that night.

Professor McGonagall had sorted them into pairs. James and Sirius had ended up together. Remus was paired with Peter. Sirius watched him, worried. He was visibly stressed out. He kept tapping his quill on the desk. They were supposed to be reading a passage from the textbook, but Sirius had already read it. He'd pretty much memorised the textbooks at home.

Sirius conjured up a piece of parchment. He scribbled something on it, blew on it to dry the ink, and folded it neatly in four. He passed it to James. "Tell Peter to give it to Remus," he whispered. James didn't try to open it.

"Hey Wormtail!" He whispered, but Peter didn't hear. He opened his mouth to call him again. But before he could, McGonagall appeared beside him with the stealth of a cat. She swiftly confiscated the note, without having to slow her pace down. Saying nothing, sat down at her desk, and unfolded the note.

Out of all the people I could be annoying right now, I choose you. Cause you're cute xx

McGonagall raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, no," Sirius groaned softly, his pale cheeks colouring. He kept his eyes fixed on his book, but he could see no words. The back of his neck burned with embarrassment.

James nudged him with his elbow, causing him to look up. The ageing Professor was out of her seat. She discreetly pressed the note on to Remus' desk, and returned to her place at the front of the class.

She caught Sirius' eye. Her face betrayed nothing, but there was a twinkle in her eye that Sirius was positive he'd never seen before.