Seventy - part two

(8 years old)

"Father?" Sirius whispered, stepping into his father's study without knocking. Orion looked up from a letter he was writing. "Sirius?" He looked at his son, pale and shaking.

Sirius ran over to him and buried his face in his chest. Orion leaned back in his chair in surprise, but held him tightly for some time. "What's wrong, Sirius?" He asked the crying boy. "Bad dreams... I can't sleep," he whimpered. Orion kissed his forehead.

"Want me to show you something nice?" He asked, wiping Sirius' cold tears away. Sirius looked at him with wide eyes. "Can you?" He asked, his worries all forgotten now. Orion nodded, smiling.

"Look," he said. He slashed his wand at a small box on his desk. Sirius watched, lips parted in awe as the tip of the wand glowed a brilliant orange. The box was bathed in its glow. When the light died down, curled up in its place was a very small dragon.

"A Chinese Fireball!" Sirius gasped, reaching out to touch it. Orion let him take the dragon on to the small couch in his Study, and resumed writing his letter. After he was done, he sealed it with wax and laid it on his desk to be sent out the following morning.

He stood up and looked over at Sirius, who had fallen asleep, curled up with the dragon. Orion smiled to himself and transformed the dragon back into the box it had been before. He picked Sirius up and carried him to Sirius' room.

Sirius wouldn't let go, so he slipped under the covers next to him, not even caring that he was still dressed in his expensive and tight robes. And if he knew that on that night Sirius actually slept better than he had in years, Orion would've done the same every other night, forever.