Sixty - part one

(17 years old)

"Moved from mudbloods to blood-traitors, Snape?" Lucius Malfoy snickered when Severus walked into the common room after a failed day of looking for a cure with Sirius Black. Severus looked at him blankly, and went to walk past him, wondering how Malfoy knew about whom he had been with.

"Not so fast, half-blood prince," Malfoy caught his arm. With a flourish of his cloak, Severus pulled it back. "What do you want, Malfoy?"

"Well, it's not me, really. It's my father. I would never even consider the company of someone of your kind," Malfoy grinned. Severus said nothing.

"He wants to meet you." Malfoy sat down on a chair and crossed his legs. "Why?" Severus asked, surprised. People in general had no inclination to meet Severus Snape.

"Would like to give you an opportunity.

"An opportunity to do what?"

"To rise to levels in the wizarding community that you couldn't even dream of."

Severus looked at Lucius' cold grey eyes. With a small start, he realised that he was comparing them to Sirius Black's darker, infinitely more humane eyes.

"Fine," he found himself saying. "Come with me." Lucius took him to an empty cellar in the dungeons, where a life-sized mirror was erected against a wall.

A white-haired man dressed in black robes was looking at them through the mirror.

"Severus Snape," he smiled serpentine smile. "My name is Abraxas Malfoy. I have chosen you to aid me in something very important. I trust you won't let me down."

Severus wanted to scoff. He secretly wondered what Sirius Black would've said if he were in Severus' shoes. Something with the phrase pureblood bullshit in it, probably. Regulus would've refused to straight away.

James Potter might've blasted the mirror to shards. Gryffindors were quite idiotic like that.

But he was not any of them.

"What do you want?" He asked coldly. Severus had no time for riddles and obscure hints.

"I want you to befriend Sirius Black. Earn his trust."

Severus raised an eyebrow. Before he could think about it, he found himself nodding.

After all, he did hate Sirius Black.