Chapter 3

• • •

• • •

"Been with you, 

Done what you been through."

• • •

The iron man stood towering over me, blocking my path. I started to back up, confused about why a hero like him would be after a petty thief.

Sharp pain brought me out of my thoughts as I brought my hand up to find a dart lodged in the side of my neck. Confused, I spun around, only to come face-to-face with the middle-aged man from earlier. I tried to push myself past, but my body began to shut down, causing me to fall to the ground with black spots covering my vision, losing consciousness.

• • •

Peeling my cheek off the metal table as I regained consciousness, I lifted my head groggily, feeling like I had been hit by a truck. I look around the room, noticing this was some investigation room, with my hands handcuffed to the middle of the table.  The walls were bare, dull, apart from one wall, which had a one-way window, with someone most likely on the other side staring right back at me.

A commotion outside the door brought me out of my thoughts, sounding like an argument. A gruff, stern voice shouted something that resembled: "I need to know who he is!" silencing the squabble. 

A minute later, the lock on the door turned before the door opened with the baseball cap guy I had stolen from the day before last. Behind him followed a ginger woman in a catsuit, file in hand. He dragged the seat back, making the chair screech along the floor, before plonking his body down into the uncomfortable chair as if he hadn't slept for a year. The ginger woman sat on his right and placed the folder in front of her.

The man's stern voice finally broke the moment of silence 

"What's your name?" He asked, still maintaining his intense eye contact.

I stayed quiet and looked down at my hands in front of me. There was no way I was going to answer any of their questions. They would soon get bored and chuck me back on the streets.

"Why did you steal from me?" He asked, his tone already showing he was starting to get irritated. I replied with simple silence, starting to get amused by how much I could piss him off.

He sighed and started tapping his foot. Suddenly, he slammed his gloved hand down on the metal table, creating a gunshot sound that echoed all around the room. He stood up so quickly that his chair flew backward into the wall as he pulled me up by the collar. I gripped ahold of his arm to stop myself from being choked.

"HOW DO I KNOW YOU!" He seethed. It was causing me to smirk in response. I couldn't answer the question myself, but I began to quite enjoy toying with him.

"WHY AREN'T YOU ANSWERING ME!" He shouted as he pulled me higher in the air, causing my feet to dangle in the air.

"Bucky. Bucky. CALM DOWN!" The ginger woman said, tugging his arm to get his attention. His stare burned holes into mine until he finally dropped me, causing me to fall back into my seat with a thud.

The man stormed out of the room, quickly followed by the lady, who gave me a quick sympathetic look before she left. 

Edited 18/09/22