Chapter 20

• • •

• • •

"You won't judge you're just listening, yeah 

Cause you're the best thing that ever happened to me "

• • •

As the bell rung, Zack and I got up to leave for lunch. However, we were met with a guy and a girl waiting outside the classroom door.

"Zack! What's up man," the guy exclaimed as he did a quick handshake thing with Zack, as I awkwardly stood there, but not without noticing the girl staring at me.

"Zack, aren't you going to introduce me to your fit friend?" She asked causing me to blush at her words. 

"This is Wolfie. It's his first day," He said chuckling at the girl's behavior. "He'll be sitting with us at lunch, right?" he directed his question towards me, smirking once he saw how my cheeks were growing darker. At that moment I didn't trust my voice so I just nodded.

"Wolfie this is Jace and Francesca, but we all call her Fran," Zack informed as I nodded a little, slowly moving further behind Zack, not use to new people.

"Awww he's so cute," Fran commented on my shyness, causing Zack and the other guy to chuckle.

Once we entered the canteen I started to feel a bit nervous. Tons of people were lining up for food and some were sat at tables. I guess Zack must have noticed my uneasiness, due to the number of people, as he put a hand on my shoulder in reassurance. We all followed as Jace led the way to join the queue.

As we waited in line the smell of food drifted down towards us causing my stomach to growl loudly. Jace and Fran turned to me and laughed while Zack teased me. This continued for the whole duration that we stood waiting to get our food.

Once we got our food, Zack led the way to an empty table in the far corner of the canteen. I sit down next to Zack as Jace and Fran sit opposite on the small round table.

"So where did you come from?" Jace asked with curiosity lacing his tone.

"Um, I-I'm not allowed t-to say," Stammering over my words, unsure of how to answer the question, only remembering that Steve said to keep it confidential.

"What do you mean?" Fran asked raising an eyebrow at me.

"I-It's confidential," I answered.

"Confidential my ass. What did you do? Kill someone?" Jace joked, pushing me to tell them, as my face turned pale at his words.

"Just drop it guys. I'm sure he'll tell us when he's ready," Zack interrupted, saving me from the conversation.

"Sup fag. Already trying to get with the newbie. Low move," a voice called out from behind me, causing me to turn around to come face to face with a buff guy.

"Shove off Sean. Least I'm not doing it with my own family," Zack replied smugly, causing Jace, Fran and a few others around us to let out small laughs. "Oh, your dad told me to pass on his apologies about not being at home last night... we were quite preoccupied," he added causing the whole canteen to burst out into laughter. I had no idea what was so funny about what Zack had said to Sean, but it must have been at his expense as he did not look amused.

Sean's face turned bright red in a mixture of embarrassment and anger as he advanced towards Zack grabbing ahold of his collar pulling him up from his seat.

"Oh, you're definitely asking for it, fag!" Sean seethed, raising his fist, preparing to punch Zack. "Oh did your dad tell you I liked it rough?" Zack smirked out, unafraid of Sean's threats.

All of a sudden a voice bellowed through the canteen: "Cadet Sean Turner! I suggest you unhand Cadet Miller. You will report to the field at 1600 hours for disciplinary. Running laps should take this aggression out of you." A few 'ooh's' were released by other students in response to the detention.

"Yes Agent Ward," Sean mumbled out as he released Zacks collar and stormed out of the canteen.

I was about to ask if Zack was okay but Zack just burst out laughing. "Did you guys see his face. Priceless." 

Fran and Jace joined in laughing until they looked up to see my confused face before they burst out laughing again.

"Aw, lil Wolfie's too innocent," Jace teased causing Zack and Fran to laugh.

"Don't worry wolfie I can educate you," Fran said seductively as my face turned bright red at her relentless flirting.

"He's not interested," Zack replied.

"Why not! You're not my brother you can't tell me who I can date." Fran argued, sounding like a little kid not getting her way.

"He's gay Fran," Zack chuckled out. Jace and Fern's facial expression turned to shocked ones.

The rest of the lunch was quite quiet, after the conversation about why I wasn't into Fran. It wasn't long until Zack decided we should leave to get to our Military skills lesson with Hill's. Jace and Fran were unfortunately in completely different classes to Zack and I, meaning I couldn't avoid him.

He didn't pressure me into talking about what he had guessed during last period, making me believe I had dodged the bullet. Unfortunately at the end of the day, Zack decided he was going to walk with me to meet Bucky, 'in case he's not there yet'. 

We walked through the now empty corridors, on our way to where Bucky told me would pick me up.

"So... was I right?" Zack questioned, breaking the silence.

"I guess... I dunno," I mumbled, concerned about what his reaction might be.

"Well, that's a relief!" He exclaimed as I raised an eyebrow, asking him to explain what he meant.

"What? I'm just relieved that you're probably. It would be a bit awkward if you weren't after what happened early," Zack chuckled out scratching the back of his neck. A habit I've noticed he does whenever he's embarrassed or nervous.

"Don't get me wrong, it's just good to know I can take it a step further next time," he smirked as my cheeks heated up.

"And by the way I'm single," he winked, making my cheek reach an even darker shade of red.

I didn't get a chance to question what he meant, as the sound of a car horn caused me to look up to find Bucky's Landrover.

"See ya later Wolfie," Zack said with a final smirk as he turned and walked down the street.

I got into the passenger seat and turned to see Bucky grinning at me.

"Made a friend already?"

"Yeah... something like that," I answered as a smile crept onto my face.