Chapter 26

Lucas's POV

I felt like utter shit in the morning. My sleep was incomplete owing to the conversation with Athie from last night looming over my head. The one line kept playing on repeat in my brain.

"Then change the convention. Athena can be a Luna and a Warrior, she can be the first Luna Warrior, no?"

Could Lunas be Warriors? I was confused as this was against convention. The werewolf society was a very structured one with each member playing a certain role in the pack. It seemed to be old-fashioned but that is how the pack functioned.

However, changes did happen along the way. For example, females did take over leadership roles in the pack these days; I had made Ari the Delta when I had become Alpha, then why couldn't I just accept the concept of a Luna Warrior? What was stopping me now?

Our mate's well being is stopping us now said Leon, we are scared to lose her.

Exactly! We do not want our mate to fight on the front-lines. We want to be there to protect her. But how can we protect her when she will be our first line of defense?

If you wouldn't have let her be a Warrior, she would have never accepted us. And she is still the first line of defense, Luna or not. 

Leon had a point. Athie was here on a condition and if I did anything against it, maybe she would not want to accept me anymore.

===

After a very thoughtful shower, I wrapped the white towel around my waist walking out of the bathroom.

"Morning Luca."

I turned around to see Brandon leaning by the door frame wearing beige chinos and a formal shirt. We were going to go the Midnight Pack to meet Nathan today.

"Morning Brand. What brings you here early in the morning?"

"Since I am your Beta, I have the responsibility to remind you of your agenda today."

"What are you now? Alexa?" I chuckled.

"Oh, not even close. But you may want to know that your mother sent me here to remind you of the Luna Special Breakfast today. We need to be present at the event before we leave for the Midnight Pack."

I cursed silently. I had totally forgotten about the pack event today.

"I will be there in twenty. You tell mamma that her son is not missing this one" running my fingers through the wet hair.

I quickly wore a set of navy blue dress pants and a formal shirt. Once in three months, the Luna would host a breakfast event for the whole pack. The event was semi-formal but I had to also visit Nathan today. Putting some dress shoes on, I made it downstairs folding the shirt sleeves upto my elbow.

"Finally" stated Brandon, looking up from his phone, "I thought you would take forever."

I rolled my eyes, making my way to the main pack house.

Burrowing my hands into the pockets, I made through the lawn that was bustling with energy. The pack members nodded out of respect as I passed by them. I returned a few.

Reaching the entrance, I looked around to see many pack members running around through the chaos. The women were making their way in-and-out of the kitchen, a few men were helping their mates set the tables and kids were running around the busy adults. Anxiousness had engulfed me as I knew Athie would be here. What would I tell her? What if she never wanted to see me again? I had really not thought this through.

Now you are just over exaggerating said Leon.

Ignoring him, I made it further into the house with Brandon trailing me. Suddenly, I stopped in my tracks. Athie and Ari were setting a table a few feet away.

Oh my Goddess.

My mate had worn a yellow dress with her brown hair flowing over her shoulders. A tiny white flower adorned the side of her hair. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on in my life.

Thank you Goddess for giving me Athie.

"Stop staring" whispered Brandon, standing beside me.

"We had a tiff last night and I do not know what to do" I turned to him.

He looked at me surprised but maintained his composure.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Later."

He gave me a small nod and we turned our heads in the direction of my mate. But looking at the sight, my heart was in my throat.

There stood Samuel Adams, the son of the human negotiator of the pack, one arm around Ari and the other around my mate. Anger clouded my eyes as he leaned into my mate and said something which in-turn earned a giggle.

What the fuck?! Even David was not this stupid.

"Luca, you need to calm down. The whole pack's here" said Brandon sensing my tension, "plus he is human. You cannot hurt him."

Brandon was right. I could not hurt him. But that did not mean I couldn't warn him. I would have to have a talk with him later.

My eyes trailed Samuel as he left and l returned to the two women who were setting bowls on the table. At the exact moment, I caught Athie look up at me.

Damn, act cool Luca, act cool.

However, the tension in her eyes increased and she kept staring at me with a frown.

Leon whined.

I stood still, our eyes never leaving each other. No words bubbled from my mouth.

And then she broke eye contact and walked into the kitchen with my eyes trailing her every move.

===