Chapter 39

Athena's POV

The moment I opened my eyes, a harsh light hit me.

Where was I?

"Thena, you are awake! Thank Goddess! MAMMA!"

I winced at the loud voice. Why was this person shouting?

"Oh my poor child! Ariana, get some water!"

I blinked a few times looking at the women in front of me. A sudden realization dawned.

"Ari and....Luna?"

"Oh my Goddess! YOU REMEMBER US?!"

I visibly flinched at her volume. I tried to remove myself from the bed and winced in pain.

"Don't be silly Ariana! Of course she remembers us, she does not have memory loss!" said the Luna before turning to me, "Mia figlia, don't move, you will hurt yourself."

The Luna put her hands on my unhurt arm and took the glass of water from Ari. She held the brim to my lips and I sipped water in silence. I had not realized I was thirsty until then.

"Mia cara, how are you feeling?"

"Luna, I am feeling good. But..what ar-"

Before I could finish my sentence, a new voice barged into the room.

Mate said a voice inside of me. It was faint, but I could hear it.

"ATHIE! How are you doing? Do you need anything? Are you in pain? Shall I call the doctor?"

I stared at my mate in awe. The last thing I remembered was fighting a few men and then everything going dark.

"Mate" I whispered, staring into his eyes.

Lucas looked taken aback for a few seconds before regaining his composure.

"Yes" he whispered, "I am your mate and you are mine."

I nodded with tears brimming my eyes.

"Athie," he whispered cupping my face, "you remember me, right?"

His green eyes looked solemn. It held a lot of pain.

"Luca" I whimpered.

"Oh sweetheart, I was so worried" he said, bringing his hands around my head, pushing me to his chest.

And that is when the waterworks started.

===

I learnt that I had been in the hospital since 36 hours. I did remember most of everything that happened that fateful night, but nobody wanted to converse on the same.

I was sitting on my bed flanked by Lucas, Ariana, Brandon and Luna Irene. My right arm was in a sling and Dr. Sanchez had mentioned that I would have to wait for a week until it healed completely. 

My wolf was still weak and I was advised not to try shifting until I was completely okay.  The doctor had also prescribed some pills to reduce the silver in my system.

"We were so worried" said Ari, "I am so glad you are okay. And I am sorry."

"Don't be sorry Ari, we were in this together."

"Bu-but, you wouldn't have gone if-"

I remembered it. I remembered all of it. We had a fight and I wanted to let off some steam. But, this was not the time or the place.  I stretched my good hand to grasp her wrist.

"It is okay. I am alive and fine. Thank you for calling help."

She smiled in return.

"We are here for you Thena, we are all here for you."

Her words gave me a fuzzy feeling in my stomach. As far long I could remember, never had I ever been cared for by anybody. No person had taken care of me, told me that I was liked or taken care of.

Care. 

Love.

And then it hit me.

Ari and Vincent kneeling down beside me. Lucas crying and getting into the ambulance. 

My head turned to my mate. 

"Does the pack know?"

My mate was taken aback by the question. He stared at me with his mouth agape. 

Uncomfortable silence settled in the room. Everyone looked at each other. It seemed like nobody had an answer. 

Finally, Luna Irene spoke.

"Athena, you are a brave warrior. You fought those bastards who were responsible for the death of my mate with valor and courage. The Shadow Moon Pack could not ask for a better Luna and a Warrior."

===