Chapter 2: The Slaves of Notre Dame

Through the streets of Rome, a Jeep and a limousine travel. Tenya is escorting Empress Malty to the construction of Notre Dame. It took over fifteen years, several slaves were taken to build this colossal cathedral, and may lives were lost. It doesn't matter to the Empress however. They were disgusting creatures who should be taken into slavery. During this travel, there is a glimpse of the people of Rome. Years of heavy taxation, war, bad harvests, and home destruction paved way to the current level of poverty in Rome today. Disease ran rampant leaving many citizens on the streets to die. Children run amok on the streets on their own, begging, stealing, and working. Empress Malty wouldn't care though. If she could, she would round up all of these children and enslave them. Actually, she should do that. She would make a mental note to pass a decree that all children on the streets are to be enslaved. They continue their way to the construction site of Norte Dame Cathedral. The outside of the cathedral is about completed with the roof, the interior, and the bell towers still needing construction done. Working on this wonder are multiple slaves of the empire. Men, women, and children from conquered lands are enslaved to do hard labor for no pay and horrible working and living conditions. Right now, multiple children are bring materials around and using dangerous equipment to finish the cathedral. Some of them aren't even ten years old, but they are forced into hard labor, just because they are conquered peoples. Most of these children are from the recently conquered lands of Egypt, others are from China and Korea.

"Faster scum!" One of the guards shout, whipping the slaves to make them work faster. A child passes out from the forced labor catching the eye of the head-slave inspector Sir Motoyasu Kitamura, a young man usually an army corporal during times of war. His sleek, pony tailed, blonde hair shines over the suffering slaves, and his orange eyes glare down angrily. He orders the child to get up and when that failed, he sent guards to punish him severely by whipping and electrocution. It was this time that Malty and Tenya exit their vehicles.

"All hail the Gracious Empress of Rome. Empress Malty Melromarc is in our presence" Tenya shouts proudly. People are in the presence of the empress! They must all show respect to their benevolent leader. This grabbed the attention of Sir Motoyasu, who is loyal to his Empress.

"Ah! You Graciousness!" Motoyasu says, kneeling down on his knees. "I am truly honored to be in your presence".

"I have decided to show our gracious empress around the construction site of this glorious wonder. As head of the Three Hero's Church, she is the one to give this place of worship her blessing".

"Oh Graciousness Empress. It will be my pleasure to escort you through the place as well. As head-slave driver, it is my duty to make sure that each slave is working. Or else".

"Well thank you for your service" Malty says graciously to Motoyasu. They continue their way through the unfinished cathedral. The huge building was taller than most of the many buildings in the Roman capitol. The only other wonder taller than Notre Dame is the Pyramids of Rome. Slavers work the slaves tirelessly as their frail, ragged bodies give up on their work. Thousands of dead or dying slaves are buried in a pit next to the cathedral, where they will be neglected by others making it a breeding ground for underground spread of disease. With the presence of Empress Malty, the slavers work the slaves twice as hard as they usually are. That was not the problem for the Empress though, she was too busy admiring the almost finished product that is Notre Dame.

"This massive cathedral will hold thousands of pious subjects to worship the three heroes" Tenya explains to Malty. "And in the center of the church will be a statue of you oh gracious Empress, made with the finest gold from our colony in the Philippines. The windows are carefully crafted in Alexandra, color stained glass that will represent the three Heros' actions. And the benches would be made from the finest wood from the forests in the Austrian territories. We have also ordered two fine, golden thrones for you to sit in during masses and one for the priestesses to sit in. Now, we don't have any funds left to pay for the rest of these materials, but I can assure you that-"