Beginning of the end

The hustle and bustle of LAx shocks me. I am sufficiently freaking myself out before I have even exited the arrivals bay. I knew coming to college, overseas and away from everything and everyone I know was going to be tough. But I chose this. I want this. Right?
I roll my shoulders back, close my eyes and say my affirmation for this year in my head, I am strong, I am here and it's my time. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, open my eyes and steady myself to head out the double arrival doors that will lead me to my home for next few years. It's even louder out here.
I make my way to carousel 17 and after I manage to I tackle my three huge bags off the circuit , I load them up on the trolley and head for the oversized luggage desk. I am still not sure how I was able to fit so much of my life into such small bags. I tried to only bring what I really need but found myself adding in old pictures and other safety nets from home, like the old soft pillow I have had forever, it doesn't hold shape or support my head but it is mine and it's a comfort rather than being comfortable, which seemed important enough to pack at the time.

After a slightly awkward conversation and avoidance of the guys obvious ogling, I address the three extra boxes to my new college address and say a silent prayer that he doesn't become a stalker and use the information to find me. I push my trolley slowly onwards and head for the bus stops outside, the paperwork from my UCLA enrolment says that there is a bus that connects to the airport bus about four stops away. I line up behind what looks like everyone else who just flew in heading to my new college, each with their own former life packed up into a few small cases.

We aren't that different I guess. We all have the pillow or stuffed toy or other old random items that remind us of home. A boy to my left has been trying to hide a small torn blanket looking thing in his back pack for the last few minutes. I pretend I didn't notice him looking at it sadly. I bet these kids haven't flown as long and as far from home as I have. Not one of my friends are heading to uni or college as far from home as I am. I'm just lucky. Or crazy.
I like to think it's a an equal amount of both. That perfect combination, the mix and match that keeps me just as excited about this adventure as I am terrified.

I have up and left my entire family and all my friends behind in my hometown of Mackay in Queensland Australia. It's a small town. The kind where everyone knows everyone, where the same families stay and work the land and send their kids to the same school they went to, for them to graduate and do the honorary gap year abroad, only to return and work the land like their parents. And it's all I have ever known.
But somehow I just always knew I wouldn't be like my friends and stay close to home, returning after uni or travel and sliding into speed with the rest of the town, taking a job in retail or hospitality and marrying someone we went to school with or maybe a friends older sibling . Maybe that's why I haven't had a serious relationship in so long. I knew I wasn't sticking around, so what was the point?

That country life is not enough for me. I'm happy that it is for Kasey and Jess and the rest of my closest friends. They all fit in here, they know they belong here. They know what their lives are going to be already. Just not me. I want more. Always have.

Luckily for me, dad was born in England, to parents of British and American decent so his birth rite gave me a passport to the world. Literally. I applied to many colleges all around Europe and the states but UCLA cheer was my main focus. And my luck continued because not only was I accepted, I was given a part cheer scholarship. Looks like my love for dance is finally paying off, though cheer is Australia is very different to the standard at UCLA. I know I will have to work hard to be at a level with my future team mates.

My parents are very supportive of this choice. Dad has worked so much over the last year so that they can help me with the remaining part of my tuition. They agree with and completely  support me spreading my wings away from home, I just don't think they ever thought I would head so far away. I fully expect them to pack up my siblings and head over within two years. That's just us. We are a flock, we rarely fly solo.

The small reminder of my family has me swallowing back my fear. Maybe it's the jet lag talking? After a three hour flight to Sydney, a ten hour flight to Singapore, a two hour lay over and sprawled almost- sleep across waiting room chairs only to then catch another nine hour flight to LA, I'm here. Tired and sweaty, dragging three heavy cases, really in need of a shower, but ready to start my future. Alone, but not afraid. Never afraid.

I head out to the bus rank and the immediate noise and bustle of the traffic is deafening. Mackay does not have much traffic! Ever. This is going to be interesting, especially if I decide I need a car. This is all backwards and opposite to what I'm accustomed to. The buzz inside me is growing. All of it, new and so different. Already I know this is the right choice. I'm so ready for this even if I do feel like I might wee my pants at any given minute!

I need to suck it up! I head to the line up and park my trolley behind me. The girl in front of me has an equally full trolley and I spy the green and white poms key ring sticking out of her case lock.
A fellow cheer girl? Has my luck continued and given me a heads up with meeting a new team mate?
I fake a bump into her back and she turns around with a small scowl as I quickly apologise.

"I'm so sorry! My trolley is out of control" I gasp and give her a small smile.

She returns it and the scowl fades from her face. She flicks her long dark hair over her shoulder and puts her hand out towards me;

"No problem. Love your accent by the way. Aussie is my favourite foreign accent! Are you here for college?" She asks and waits for my answer staring at me and my bags, she looks me up and down, her bright white, perfect teeth shining.

"Yes, all the way from Australia, I'm going to UCLA ." I shrug and take her hand.

"She shakes may hand and i notice her nails are also perfectly manicured. She makes mine look like dirty claws.

"I'm Candice. Pleased to meet you. I can't believe you are here all the way from down under! I thought moving from Seattle was a long way."

She giggles and shakes her head. I laugh in return, she seems sweet and It's nice to have a friendly face after all the alone travel time. It was too long a trip for my parents and siblings to take, besides, I need to learn to be my own best company now.

"I'm Ellis. Yeah, I guess so, but Im so excited about it, I'm here on a cheer scholarship, I'm going to major in English, you?" I continue, trying to learn more about her.

I see her eyes turn to wide orbs, her mouth forms a big o shape and she looks like she may just jump out of her skin.

"Cheer! You are here to cheer ?! Oh my god, me too!" She says, grabbing her Pom Pom key ring and shaking it right in front of my face.

I knew it. I could tell a mile away, even if I didn't immediately notice the key chain.
Her skirt is short, shorter than the regular day time skirt and her tanned legs are toned and moisturised to perfection. Her hair swings from side to side when she talks,  like an animated character from a Japanese anime film and it begins to swing faster as she excitedly tells me her cheerleading repertoire.

"I have cheered all through high school, first freshman ever to make the senior team! I am a UCLA cheer legacy. My mother and sister both graduated from UCLA and both were head cheerleader in their senior year and both cheered for the NFL. I have a lot to uphold"

She says the last part very seriously and I can tell that she is going to be more focused on the cheering part of college than the actual college degree.

I like her already.