Plenty of Gerbals in the sea

As i return to find Candice and the group, i walk by the benches where he was sitting before he saved me. Again. I find myself absently searching the faces of the guys sitting there, amongst a flock of girls, who are doting all over them. Bayne isn't there.

The assortment of muscle bound guys are obviously his team mates, or at the very least, a mixture of other sports team members. They all have the same swagger, the outward cocky confidence that oozes from them and spills all over the girls hovering around. My guess is, these girls are all hoping to be the lucky lady on someone's arm, or in someone's bed, at least for tonight.

To be frank, they all look thirsty AF.

I have never been one of those girls, not that I lacked the opportunity or the basic necessities for that matter. I am fit, my lean limbs and slim frame suit the dancing world and i have never had to diet in my life. I prefer running and outdoor sports to the gym, but dance is my real work out passion. I'm not one for make up or over doing my look, but I have still been asked out more times than I have said yes.

My only real relationship was in high school and it was fleeting. He was more a friend than anything and though we fooled around, we never actually had sex. So, while that probably makes me the only virgin college cheerleader on the planet, definitely in this square for sure, it doesn't actually concern me that much. I just haven't been that interested.

As I awkwardly and a little green-eyed watch the carefree girls, shamelessly flirting with the jocks, my phone buzzes in my pocket.
Crap. I really need to change over to a local phone plan soon I think to myself.

I look at the message and I'm thrilled to see it's my dance bestie, Dee. 

Dee:
Bitch... are you alive? Are you there? Are there any hot prospects?

Of course those are her priorities. I have an odd feeling that Dee and Candice would get on like a house on fire. Maybe that's why I felt an automatic liking for Candice; she reminds me of Dee.

I reply and keep it simple.

Ellis:
Im alive. I'm here, at a party actually. Hot yes, prospects, no.

It's the truth. Eventually I'll have to tell her about todays strange events but not now. I need to get back to Candice and try to get to know some of our team mates.

Dee:
Keep me posted. Love you!

I smile to myself and try to squash the little painful pang that I feel thinking about her. She is off dancing on a cruise ship for a year, living her dance dream like me. I'm immensely happy for her but I miss her already.

"Ellis! Ellis!" I hear from across the quad and I search for the little minx that owns that voice. Finally, amongst all the bobbing heads and sweaty, swaying bodies, I see Candice wriggling and grooving through the crowd towards me, dragging someone along behind her.

It's only when she is almost right in front of me that she swings the person around in front of her and he stands before me again, a slight smirk on his lips and a drink in his hand.

"Look who I found girl?" She says and winks at me out of his sight.

"More like look who abducted me and dragged me over here against my will." He says with a laugh.

I'm not sure why, but that last part stings a little.

I laugh along as they both share a chuckle and ignore the strange feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Oh shut up, you should be thanking me, I saved you from that witch of a girl who abused us on the bus this morning. She was giving you a mouth full."