Paid for

There was quite the commotion after Lexi took the stage and announced that the annual cheer team silent auction was about to begin. Literally everyone turned their attention to the semi circle we had now formed on the stage.

Guys in the crowd wolf whistled and began to boast vocally about winning someone hot. Girls scowled at the stage and whispered nasty comments in each other's ears I'm sure, giggling and pointing at us like animals in a circus.

I was definitely not ok with being a public spectacle like this, but as I stole a nervous glance around the stage at my team mates, I realised this was more of a joke than anything serious. They were all smiling and laughing, pretending to stand in front of each other and show off their best assets to attract a higher bid. They were making light of it, so surely I could do the same? It's all harmless fun. For a good cause. At least that's what I was attempting to tell my rapidly beating heart and steadily rising anxiety level.

Lexi stepped up to centre stage and tapped on the silver mike atop the thin stand holding it up.

"Ok ladies and gentlemen. Let's get the rules out of the way first." This statement attracted a lot of booing and hissing from the majority of the men in the crowd. They didn't want rules, they wanted to buy some time with the cheerleaders.

Lexi continues, not at all phased by the negative response. She has serious balls this one! Candice squeezes my hand and I give her a small nod to let her know that I am still breathing. Just.

Lexi attempts to reign in the rambunctious men.

"Everyone Finished?! You all know how this goes, but for the newbies in the crowd and on stage, let's just spell it out shall we?" She throws a quick glance back in my direction and a small smirk crosses her lips.

"All of my dashing and darling team mates will be given a number. They will each complete a quick lap of the stage, to show you what they've got and then, if you see someone you like, you can head over to the left of the stage and make your bid with my assistant and myself for the lad or lady of your choice, to spend some quality time with at tonight's event."

Again, more whistling follows and I feel the bile rising in my throat like the lava of a volcano, ready to explode.

I'm going to be sick.

"Some of my lovelies up here have very kindly donated their time for a date card auction. This means you, the lucky buyer, get to have them all to yourself on a tasteful date of your choice!" The crowd goes nuts at this announcement and my nerves hit an all time high.

Lexi revs them up some more and I have to literally force a smile onto my face and will my legs to hold me up, the adrenaline is pumping so hard I feel as if people in the crowd can see my erratically beating heart as it races so fast, it shreds my chest.

I close my eyes and try to calm my nerves as Lexi continues;

"It goes without saying that to win a date, you must put your money where your mouth is people! Now, let's get the bidding started shall we?" She lifts her arms in the air like she is signalling the start of a very important race and the atmosphere amongst the thirsty bidders is wild.

One by one, the ladies and gentlemen of my team take their lap of honour. Each is rewarded for their bravery with shrieking and whistling and applause. As the next in turn gets closer to me I lean in to Candice and whisper in her ear;

"I can't do this Candice. What if no one buys us? What happens to the rejects?" My heart beat is so loud in my ears it's deafening. I'm literally freaking myself out.

"Ellis, will you shut up! You are seriously not that crazy are you? Do you not know how hot you are? Now stop it, breath. And wish me luck, I'm next!"