Chapter 5: Strange Glow

"Nereus?" Ant asked turning the corner and entering the room with Kaiko behind him shaking her head at Ant's enthusiasm to see the old man.

Nereus was standing in the middle of the room,  looking perplexed, as he looked around examining the room carefully just like he had seen a ghost.

"How are you feeling?" Kaiko asked with her voice sounding worried as she glanced over to Nereus, who seemed even more confused than before.

"How did I end up here?" He asked ignoring Kaiko's question scratching his head as he gazed around the room wondering how on Earth he ended up here.

"We will explain it later, but you also have some explaining to do" Kaiko said guiding him back to the stretcher pulling him gently to the stretcher.

As Nereus sat down he looked at Ant then to the door, "where's the scroll?"

"Back in the safe, where it should have been," Kaiko said her voice more sternly this time.

"Dad please don't make lunch either" Fontaine grumbled walking into the infirmary as she shook her head glancing over to Will who cracked a smile.

Her hair was now neatly combed down with her stubborn pink streak of hair sticking out, she was holding her tablet in her left hand as the pair walked in.

"It really wasn't that bad" Will said turning to the complaining Fontaine  his smile turning into a sarcastic one.

"It really was" Odette added bluntly as she appeared from behind Will with a sarcastic smile displayed on her face.

"Hello William, Fontaine Odette" Nereus said sitting up on the stretcher a smile spread across his face.

"At least he's can identify people now, that's a start," Kaiko said taking the stethoscope off his chest "heart beat is normal Ant"

Ant quickly scribbled down the words before turning back to Nereus who was looking at him with a curious expression.

"Nereus?" Ant questioned peering over at him.

"Yes, Anteus?"

"Your ca... Why were you onboard the Aronax in the first place?" Ant said changing his question last minute as he was unsure if Nereus would believe him.

"Onboard the Aronax...well I'm not entirely sure" he responded scratching his beard "the last thing I remember I was on my row boat"

Nereus looked at Ant with suspicion, he was going to ask something else before he hesitated. Ant noticed as he looked over to him a smiled nervously before going back into deep thought as he turned his back to him.

"What is it with Guardians and row boats" Fontaine exclaimed turning to face the old man.

"Ant normally I would let you ask questions to Nereus but not right now. He is still dazed although when you do remember Nereus, do explain how you bypassed the security system" Kaiko said sternly crossing her arms.

They had only upgraded it last month after Alpheus had managed to hack into the system and had access to every single data they had.

"And don't forget the password" Will added on to his wife.

"How's your vision?" Fontaine asked moving her hand from one side to another.

Nereus watched the hand move side to side as if he was in a trance.

"Nereus? Nereus?" She asked stopping abruptly looking at the old man clicking her fingers in front of his face to get his attention.

"My vision is fine," he said blinking a couple of times as he shook his head coming out of the trance.

"Come on let's go he needs to rest," Kaiko said abruptly as she held onto Will's hand.

"But I wanted to ask some questions" Ant complained as he turned to Kaiko with puppy dog eyes.

"Don't make me ask twice Anteus" Kaiko said sternly her eye-brows furrowed.

As the rest of the family left the room, Ant too was about to leave as he turned to exit the room.

"What question did you really want to ask me Anteus?" Nereus asks sitting up properly looking as Ant curiously.

"Oh, Uhh. Before-.. your cane was glowing. Is that normal?" Ant asked hesitantly on whether or not Nereus would believe him.

To be honest, Nereus would believe just about anything.

"Well depends on what type of glow?" Nereus responded a smile creeping up his face.

"It was like a light... a light purple glow" Ant responded as he glanced over to the cane leaning against the stretcher.

"Was it now" Nereus questioned looking at Ant with a pleased smile "did it abruptly stop glowing after you stopped touching it?"

"Yes, how did you know?"

"I have my ways" Nereus responded looking at the boy in front of him smiling.

Ant displayed a frown upon  Nereus's response. What Ant didn't know that Nereus himself this time was genuinely confused, how had his cane known. His head throbbed thinking about it, so immediately put those thoughts away and watched as Ant slowly left the room occasionally glancing back at Nereus who still displayed that same mysterious smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Words: 861

What do think about the glow and how is Ant connected to it, Nereus being his normal self won't tell anyone anytime soon though

Vote
And
Comment
💖