Chapter 13: Pirates onboard the Aronax

Kaiko glanced over at at Nereus as Finn and Fontaine both left. She then looked over at his cane leaning on the stretcher. She touched it first, once she was certain nothing happened she then slowly reached out to pick it up. Nothing at all happened when she held it this time, glancing over to Nereus who now had stopped mumbling things she furrowed her brows trying to think of a logical expression explanation. Her mind then diverted to the overheating engines.

"Are the engines working?" Kaiko asked quietly over her comm to Odette who was most likely still in the bridge.

"Nope, they have definitely overheated" Odette responsed trying again and again to see if it would work.

Kaiko glanced over at the clock, it was 9 and still no sign of Hammerhead which enraged her. She scowled to herself as she made her way to the engine room. Turning the light on she heard movement in the room.

"Who's there" she said turning the light on scanning the room for intruders.

A loud crash could be heard. Kaiko turned the corner to see Ant and Madeline on the floor and looked up to the see the vent open above them.

"Anteus" Kaiko said displaying a frown looking at the pair.

"Sorry Mom" Ant apologised standing up.

"You should be in bed by now" Kaiko said sternly folding her arms.

"Please" Ant complained.

"Don't make me say it twice, Madeline is staying near the guest room near Fontaine's room and Finn's staying near the one near yours" Kaiko said after thinking about  it for a while, she did not at all trust Finn and Fontaine.

"Now Ant to bed, you too Madeline" Kaiko said frowning at Ant who was basically begging her not to

Madeline as well as Ant both reluctantly agreed slowly making their ways to their rooms.

Kaiko got her tools out and started working on the engines. She began humming a melody as she worked. Other than her humming it was silence.

"Kaiko?" A voice asked causing her to hit her head on the machine scaring her.

She looked to her right to see Will and Nereus.

"How do you feel?" Kaiko asked rubbing her head glancing over to Nereus.

"Ok, I think" he replied wincing as he felt his head.

"Engines are done, could you try them Odette" Kaiko asked

She heard the engines hum and then they came back online.

"Good work Kaiko" Will said gently kissing her on the forehead.

"Nereus?" Kaiko asked her attention turning to the man who was scratching his beard.

"I remember" he said looking up "at least some of it"

Kaiko and Will glanced over to each other then back to Nereus.

"The sea is the key, the empheychron." He mumbled his face lighting up.

"Yeah, you were mumbling on about water and the empheychron" Odette said walking into the room.