Chapter 17: A Ship In Distress

"What's the matter?" Madeline asked as she and Ant emerged from the door, Finn and Fontaine were already there.

"Kaiko?" Will and Odette asked with Nereus behind them as they rushed into the bridge.

"We've received a distress call" Kaiko said trying to play the call again, the message being garbled.

"Help...our ship is sinking" the radio said with the message garbled barely to be able to make out some of the words.

"What's your location, send us your location?" Will asked trying to get a better signal.

A quiet hum was heard from Kaiko's control panel, their attention turned toward it.

"Got them, Fontaine find the quickest route, everyone at your stations" Kaiko said as she pushed the Aronax forward maximum speed.

As they got closer to the location about only a few miles away, everyone's attention turned to the loud thud heard outside the Aronax.

"Wh...what was that?" Finn asked

"Nothing on sonar close enough to make that noise?" Fontaine responded checking the monitor.

"Will can you take over, I need to check if anything happened" Kaiko said standing up from her seat.

Will sat down taking his wife's seat while Kaiko headed to the moon pool.

——

A loud alarm went off, Kaiko's attention away from the knight as she started to climb in.

"Mom there's large multiple objects on sonar, they coming right at us" Ant said over his comm trying to see out the window. His face was pressed up right against the glass.

"I'm on my way" Kaiko replied rushing to the bridge her eyes widened as she realised it was the collision alarm.

As she entered she saw Ant, Odette and Finn looking out of the window and Madeline and Fontaine around Fontaine's seat. Nerues was sitting in his seat with the seat belt fastened.

"Sonar isn't working as well, it keeps on turning on and off and keeps on glitching" Fontaine said tapping on the screen.

"Ant what are those objects?" Kaiko asked as she sat down on her chair, Will moving of it, hands in the controls ready for evasive action.

Big white objects could now be seen coming towards them.

"There...there sperm whales" Ant said as a whole pod of them approached coming into view.

"They seem agitated" Will said going closer to the window studying the behaviour of the animals, it was not normal behaviour for sure.

For starters the looked like they didn't even see the Aronax and secondly normally Sperm Whales did not swim this fast.

"Shields up" Kaiko said pressing the button as the whales were only a hundred metres away too late for evasive action.

As the shields went up, Nereus caught a glimpse of what seemed like Alpheus' sub. A dark purple sub in the shape of a squid, there was no mistaking it.