Chapter 11: Secrets of the Diary

"Mad Madeline" Ant scowled from across the room, glancing over at her from the bed. She sat down at the desk drawing something on a scrap paper she had found lying on the desk.

"Anteus" she said in a joking manner looking up from her drawing of a mermaid pouting, being called that name.

A chuckle escaped Ant's mouth catching Madeline's attention. She glanced over at the boy who was teaching his pet fish how to jump through a hoop.

"Come on Jeffery, all you have to do is
jump though the hoop" he said waving the hoop above the fish tank.

Jeffery in return blew a couple of bubbles and tilted his head in response.

"Try giving him a treat" Madeline interrupted reaching out over the desk.

She took a cookie out of Ant's jar and moved towards his bed and waved it about near the hoop. This caught Jeffery's attention straight away and Jeffery blew bubbles. The fish jumped above into the hoop and pushed the cookie out of Madeline's hand into the fish tank.

"See" she said with a smug face taking her hand away from the fish tank.

"Thank you" Ant mumbled glaring at Jeffery.

"You weren't meant to do that" Ant scolded Jeffery eyeing him annoyed, "oh how can I stay mad at you"

Ant picked up the fish tank and saw Jeffery nibbling on the cookie which now was soaked in the water. Ant displayed a disgusted face as he thought pf how the biscuit would taste.

"Your not the only one who's stolen my cookies" Ant said chuckling looking at his best friend still nibbling only the cookie

"You believe in mermaids?" Madeline asked walking near some of his posters situated on the walls of his room.

"So some of it is in English?" Will asked taking the diary from Finn.

"Mhm" Finn responded looking from Will to Nereus and back to Fontaine who was eyeing his cut, crossing his arms around the cut so it wasn't visible.

"William, May I see?" Nereus said extending his arm, studying Will's expressions carefully.

Will passed the book, most pages with writing were smudged however some were readable.

"Queen... Queen Doreus" Nereus said reading the pages from the start.

"You know Lemurian?" Finn asked his gaze lifting from the floor as he felt a mere shadow compared to Will who was eyeing the distance between Finn and Fontaine.

"No" the man said abruptly closing the book as he looked up to meet their gazes and smiled nervously.

Odette and Kaiko both looked at Nereus who seemed confused himself.

"The pages in the back are in English although." Finn muttered as he took the book from Nereus opening the book once more.

"I could spend months trying to translate this Lemurian part" Will said looking astonished standing up and removed his hand from Kaiko

"Dad remember your Lemurian isn't as good as you think" Fontaine said warily remembering their encounter with the monumential sea worm.

Will glanced over at Kaiko remembering her condition due to his mistake, although she did get the holiday she wanted.

"I know but I have improved even if it just a little bit" Will replied coming out of his thoughts turning to Fontaine did shake her head in agreement or maybe in disagreement.

"Where exactly was the shipwreck" Nereus asked stroking his beard as he looked to Finn.

"Nereus it's not like we can go anywhere at the moment. Alpheus damaged our engines" Odette replied as she ran a full diagnosis of the Aronax. "Engines are offline, plus at any moment out lights could fail but nothing to bad"

Suddenly the lights turned off on cue as Odette closed her mouth deciding it best not to continue her sentence.

"Back up lights should be coming on" Will said as he watched dim lights come on.

It glowed a orange /yellow colour but gave enough light to see for the time being.

"Ant?Madeline? Come to the bridge immediately" Odette asked over her comm as the lights flickered a bit, turning on and off.

"I'm going to check to see if I can repair the engines," Kaiko said standing up.

Will looked over to his wife "I'm coming with you,"

"I think I can handle the engines Will" Kaiko retaliated with a hint of being offended in her tone.

"I know you can, but I'm coming" Will replied ignoring his wife's remark.

As the couple left the room, Ant and Madeline came in.

"Fontaine may I see that diary again?" Nereus questioned his thoughts bugging him and not leaving him alone.

"Here" Fontaine said her attention on the rover which had just left the Aronax.

As Nereus flicked through the pages he reached the English pages. Some of it he could read, parts of it he could guess with the context. Somehow he recognised this as if he had seen this before?

"Mister Nereus?" Ant asked pulling him out of his thoughts.

"Yes Anteus?" Nereus asked closing the diary.

"Are you okay?" Ant asked as he began to notice him zooming out of reality more often, and it was strange even for him.

"Will get me closer so I can use the laser" Kaiko said as she controlled the arms.

Will nodded as he pushed the controls forwards, once in place he let go. He watched Kaiko carefully examine her as she wielded the crack together.

"What happened Kaiko?" He asked catching her attention.

"What do you mean?" She asked still concentrating on fixing the crack.

"One minute you were fine, so?" He asked again wanting to find out.

"Fontaine try the engines again" Kaiko said over her comm completely ignoring Will.

They heard a loud hum which was good so far and the engines began turning but abruptly stopped.

"The engines must have overheated" Kaiko mumbled taking control of the rover, still ignoring Will's question.

~~~~~~~~~~
Words:1018
Early chapter, turns out tomorrow my wifi is going to be cut off temporarily so will be offline for a few days, hopefully back before Friday! Hope you enjoyed the chapter!
Vote
And
Comment!
💖