Grounded

"This sucks." Damian said, leaning back in his chair. Alfred Pennyworth was putting fresh sheets on Damian's bed.

"Perhaps you should listen to your father."

"Ugh." Damian said. "You sound just like him."

"Imagine that." Alfred frowned. He picked up Damian's laundry basket. "Try to be productive today, Master Damian. It's not everyday that you have unlimited time to do your homework."

Damian groaned. "But I already did it."

"I suggest that you find time to be productive. You will figure it out." Alfred said, closing the door.

Damian flopped back on his freshly made bed. "This still sucks." 

Damian had just come home from school. Jon was back with his family in Metropolis and he wouldn't be coming back to Gotham until Friday. It was now a very boring Wednesday.

They had met at the fountain for lunch and griped over both being grounded and how boring it was.

A knock sounded on Damian's door. He opened the door and looked out. It was Jason.

"Dinner's ready."

Damian put on a pair of socks and chased Tim down the stairs, sliding into the dining room on the polished wooden floors. He had picked that up from Dick. It bothered his father but he didn't care.

Alfred served dinner and the boys talked about their day at school. Damian stayed mostly quiet.

"Well my day sucked." Damian said, stirring little green peas around the plate.

"No one asked." Tim said.

"No one wanted you, Orphan."

"At least my mother didn't try to kill me, Bastard."

Damian grabbed for the knife but Jason had seen his brothers fight enough that he made sure to grab it before Damian could.

"Boys." Bruce warned. He looked at Damian. "Damian."

Damian pulled his chair closer to the table. "Yes, father?"

"I've been speaking with Clark."

"Yes?"

"How would you and Jon like an opportunity to end your grounding?"

Damian perked up. "I can do anything."

"You AND Jon can do something."

"Pray tell what is that?"

Tim rolled his eyes. "Why do you talk like you're in the Canterbury Tales?"

Damian sighed. "Must suck to be a simpleton."

Jason pounded his fist on the table. "Can you just use English?!"

Bruce looked at Jason and turned back to Damian. "There's been a series of pawn store break-ins." He looked at Damian. "We know where the most likely target is in Gotham. Jon is meeting you in the Cave in an hour if you decide to take the opportunity."

"Break-ins? I could thwart that when I was 5."

"That was just a couple of years ago." Tim laughed.

"I'm thirteen." Damian growled.

Tim and Jason exchanged smirks as Tim took a sip of water.

"The point is to work with Jon." Bruce said. "And to listen to instructions."

"Oh, joyous day." Damian muttered. He looked at his father. "I won't let him mess up." Damian said.

"Teamwork." Jason reminded. "You have to work together." He laughed. Jason had not worked with a partner in a while.

"Fine." Damian declared. "I'll work with Jon." He looked at his father. "I accept your challenge, father."

"Good." Bruce nodded.

"I can't wait to see this." Tim muttered.

"Good luck." Jason said.

Damian frowned "We don't need luck."

"You need teamwork." Bruce finished.