Early Shift With Jon

Damian accompanied his father to the roof of the police headquarters where the bat signal illuminated the sky.

"Commissioner." Bruce nodded.

"Batman." Gordon responded. "Robin." He handed over a folder he had tucked under his arm. "Do you think you can take care of this?"

Bruce flipped through the pages. "Yes."

"What does it say?" Damian asked.

"Stand down, Robin." Bruce said. "You and Superboy are working the early shift tonight."

"But-"

"No." Bruce said, stopping his son. "Do you think you can take on the docks?"

Damian brightened up. Working the docks was everyone's favorite patrol spot. Drugs and weapons were regularly exchanged there and there was always something to act on instead of sitting perched on roofs waiting for crime.

"I think Superboy and I can manage."

Commissioner Gordon raised an eyebrow. "Two kids at the docks?"

Damian shrugged. "Superboy can shoot lasers out of his eyes. We're good."

Gordon sighed. "Well if you need GCPD, give us a call."  

Bruce met Clark at the docks. Batman and Superman had come to drop off their sons. "You can work until 2 and then it's time to call it a night"

Jon smiled. "Okay!"

"How about 3?" Damian asked.

Bruce frowned. "No."

"Fine." Damian said, rolling his eyes under his mask.

Their fathers departed, leaving the two boys on top of a tall stack of shipping crates where they could see the entire dock and marina.

"What are we looking for exactly?" Jon asked, looking at Damian who was peering through binoculars, laying flat against the crate.

"Any private exchange, people standing guard, any signs of weapons, lots of things."

Jon sat down. "Did I mention that my dad taught me how to fly better? I can fly as long as it's not far. You could piggyback so we can move between roofs!"

Damian turned away from his binoculars. "I don't piggyback."

Jon shrugged and changed the subject. "So what are you wearing to the dance?" Jon asked.

Damian groaned and sat up. "At this point I have no clue. Can we go back to looking for crime?"

Jon shrugged. "Do you see anything?"

"Actually." Damian said, adjusting the view on his binoculars. "I think we have someone. That man moving suitcases into a pontoon. Let's go."

Jon jumped down, levitating just in front of the cargo container. "Jgrab on." Jon said.

Damian sighed and grasped Jon's forearm, locking them together as Jon lowered them down to the ground. Damian dropped down at the last 20 feet and tucked into a roll. He threw a batarang over his head and into a case that one man was carrying.

"Stop!" Damian shouted. Jon had just landed and followed behind him. "What's in the bag?"

The man froze and sneered. "Why would I tell you?

Damian crossed his arms and smiled. "Because he has laser-vision."

The man's eyes widened, looking at Jon. Jon shrugged. "It's only for bad guys."

The boat started and the man quickly looked over his shoulder, ready to get away.

"Sorry that I have to do this." Jon said, opening his eyes and beaming lasers onto the motor on the back of the boat. The man dropped his suitcase and ran.

"Go get him." Damian told Jon, as he took a running start to jump onto the boat.

Jon came back, he was levitating a good ten feet off of the ground, holding the man up by the back of his jacket.

Damian handcuffed the pair of men to each other around a dock post and checked the contents of the suitcases. There was several packages inside. Damian zipped them back up.

"GCPD will be here in an hour. We're done here."

Bruce called over the communication links in the boys' ear.

"Batman to Super Sons, report."

Damian pressed the side of his ear. "Super Sons to Cave. Task achieved, left for GCPD."

"I'm eating a granola bar." Jon added.

"Good to know." Bruce replied.

Jon smiled. Damian rolled his eyes and took his finger away from his ear. "Let's get some sleep." Damian said.

Jon nodded and followed Damian up the elevator.

"Man, I have a headache." Jon complained. "Laser vision does that."

"Alfred can give you something."

"Thanks."