School Lunch

It was Monday. Unfortunately, Alfred was sick and Bruce insisted he take a few days off to recuperate. Alfred would have objected but he was just that sick. Tim blamed Damian for not getting the flu shot.

Damian was content eating cereal. He never got to eat straight cereal for breakfast at the Manor because it wasn't 'part of a balanced diet for someone who burns 5000 calories a day'.

Jon took a bite of Coco Puffs (Jason picked it out after dinner last night, which consisted of slightly burned frozen pizza).

"And then it's chocolate milk at the end." Jon informed Damian.

Damian looked down at his spoon. "Commoner food is so interesting."

Tim was eating toast. "You're going to get a sugar high." He said to Damian. "Your body isn't used to so much processed sugar."

"YoUr BoDy IsN't UsEd To PrOcEsSeD sUgAr." Damian taunted.

Tim stood up and took his plate to the sink. "I don't know why I even try to communicate with you."

Jason laughed.

"Okay boys, grab your backpacks." Bruce said, pointing at Damian and Jon. "And Damian- wear a coat."

Damian drank down the rest of the milk and then set the bowl down. "It's only a 40-minute drive. We should have, like, ten more minutes."

"I'm driving." Bruce said. "I'm not taking the risk of being late."

Jon hopped off of the kitchen stool and put his bowl in the sink. "I'm ready."

Damian sighed. "I guess let's get our bags."

"Whoo!" Jon cheered. "Another school week."

Damian frowned. "Gag."

Jon handed Damian his backpack. "School is fun."

"If you say so..." Damian sighed. "I bet you're popular."

Jon shrugged. "I just make friends easily."

"Lucky you."

They loaded into the backseat of Bruce's car. Jon put his backpack between his feet on the floor. Bruce looked up the directions to Metropolis Tech. He turned out of the driveway and off onto the roads of Gotham.

When they arrived, Bruce pulled into the parking lot of the prestigious school.

He pulled out his wallet and handed a $20 bill to each.

"You're going to need to buy lunch today."

"Thanks." Jon said, "But I can go without lunch. I don't want you to have to pay for me. You already let me stay at your house."

Damian frowned and took the bill from his father's hand and handed it to Jon.

"He's a billionaire." Damian reminded.

"Right." Jon said, nodding. He looked at Bruce. "Then thank you, Mr. Wayne."

Bruce smiled. "Have a good day at school. I'll pick you up from the parking lot after school."

Both boys agreed and went their separate ways after agreeing to meet up in the cafeteria, which was in the elementary school building. (And the gym was in the middle school building).

School was boring and Tiana wasn't at school so he had no one to talk to in the halls. Damian knew everything but took notes to escape his boredom and honestly mostly spent time drawing in the margins. Finally, the bell rang which dismissed Damian to lunch. In 15 minutes, the elementary school kids would start their lunch and Damian wanted to make sure he would beat the line if he was going to have to buy food.