Chapter 8

Axel's POV

"Listen up!" Coach yells, successfully gaining all of our attention.

"Today we're starting basketball, so I'm going to split everyone up into two teams. You guys are going to play a game, a serious one" Coach says, and I smirk. Basketball is the only thing - besides cooking and baking- that I can confidently say that I'm decent at. 

"Now I'll read off the list and when you hear your name, go to your respective colour. Red on the right, and blue on the left. On the red team, Valerie, Franco, Jayden, Gilbert, Bella, Tyler and Axel" I walk to my respective side when I hear my name. 

I see Jayden walking over and he smiles at me, in which I return.

"Everyone who was not called, you're on the blue team. Now, decide who's gonna be playing first. I'll give you guys five minutes before we start" Coach says as he walks off.

I look around the team and see two other jocks besides Jayden. One of them has dirty blond hair with green eyes and a stubbled jaw, and the other has spiky black hair with brown eyes.

"Okay, so obviously me, Tyler and Jayden are gonna be starting. But we're gonna need two more people" the jock with dirty blond hair says, and I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I hate how jocks think that just because they're good at one sport, they're automatically good at everything. Sure, that may be the case for some, but their cocky attitude just makes it unbearable.

"I think Axel should start with us" I hear Jayden say and I sigh in relief. I appreciate Jayden speaking up for me, because lord knows I wouldn't have offered myself. 

We decide on our starting lineup as Coach yells, "Okay everyone who's starting, get on the court!"

Me, Jayden, the blondie, hedgehog -the guy with black spiky hair- and... that guy - I didn't bother learning their names - walk onto the court as the other team's starting lineup walks onto the court as well. 

Hedgie - short for hedgehog -  goes up to do the jump-off, in which he loses. The other team passes the ball to a guy with a bowl cut. I spring into action as I swiftly steal the ball from the guy and dunk it into the net. 

Everybody, even the coach, looks at me with shocked expressions. I casually walk back to my side of the court, and notice from the corner of my eye that the score hasn't been changed.

I turn to the score keeper, "You going to change the score or are you gonna keep gawking at me?" I say, and his cheeks turn a light shade of pink as he changes the score to 2-0.

"Yo, bowl cut. It's you guys' ball" I say, trying to get the game to start back up. He blinks a couple times and goes to grab the ball.

"Dude.. that was amazing! How'd you dunk that with such a small body?" blondie says, and I shrug.

"Beginner's luck?" I say with a smirk, as the Coach blows the whistle to continue the game.

Pfft, beginner's luck my ass. I wasn't the top player on my old team for nothing. Wow, I'm awfully cocky today. I wonder what they would think if they heard me say that. I should step it down a couple notches with the self-praise. 

The game continues, as bowl cut passes the ball to another guy on his team. He dribbles and Jayden goes to defend. I quickly run behind Jayden as the guy gets past him, and I steal the ball again since he probably couldn't see me thanks to Jayden's huge body covering me. I run with the ball to the net, but another guy stops me.

His defence was better than Jayden's, but it wasn't impossible to get around. I still decided against it and decided to just take the shot. I smirk at the guy who gives me a confused look, as I jump and shoot the ball. It goes in with a SWISH sound, it was a three-pointer too. I smirk at the guy who looks at me, bewildered. I turn and walk back to my side of the court again.