Chapter 8

Disclaimer!

Please be informed that these earlier chapters are samples and starting from 12 March I will remove the rest of the chapters published in Wattpad. (chapter 18 - 43/end) because I just signed a contract with a reading apps and my story is now available in a paid platform (G**dnovel).

For some readers who left complaints in the comment after discovering this, I understand your disappointment but please be respectful. No need to use offensive emojis and abusive language. Everyday writers on Wattpad are struggling to deliver good stories for readers, pouring all their hearts and efforts into it.

For all of you who has reached out to me politely, thank you very much. It's good to know there are still good people out there who appreciate aspired writers like me who's still struggling to make a living out of it. For you who choose to follow my story in paid program, I can't thank you enough. It means so much to me to be rewarded for my work.

For you who have just stumbled upon this chapter, now that you know this is a sample, you can decide whether to follow it or not. If you choose to continue reading, thank you. Know that you have helped and supported an aspired writer to grow and thrive. If you don't, it's OK and thank you for giving my story a chance.

******

The cold breeze made the leaves rustle in a short distance. A misty darkness still embraced the landscape a few moments before the dawn. From the top of the hill, Ashton was watching over the manor below on his horseback. Since the man he used to send for this job was out of town, he had to do the espionage himself.

He knew his look would be too striking to mingle with the villagers. He might very well attract undesirable attention, so he decided to do it from an entirely unseen place. Evergreen was surrounded by rolling hills all over. He planned to watch from higher place. He knew all the track in this town and where it might lead. He wore a simple attire and kept his sword hidden beneath his long coat.

Before long, a shadowy figure breezed out  of the manor gate in the dark. Magnus. He jerked the bridle and came after him silently from up above. He maintained a safe distance from him, keeping him unaware yet within his sight.

The daylight appeared, everything went smooth and easy until Magnus reached a crowded road, making it difficult to stay watching from above. He dismounted from his horse and loped fast downhill, sneaking into the busy street. He caught sight of Magnus' back in a distance, but suddenly two hulking men carrying a large cupboard crossed the street, effectively blocking his view. He slipped swiftly past them, but it was too late. Magnus had totally disappeared from his sight.

*****

People flew in and out of the lively market in the bright morning. The place was rowdy with people chattering about the grocery price and such things. After waiting about an hour in a dirty, foul-smelling alley, finally Ashton saw her walking out of the market.

Ava strolled idly along the way, not really paid attention of her surroundings. She was absorbed in deep thoughts. Some people passed by and greeted her, and she replied with a smile.

Ashton hated to admit it, but she possessed a natural grace. She looked like she belonged to noble life even when she dressed in rags. And her smile was deceitfully sweet and adorable.

From the way her brows furrowed slightly, and her eyes looked down beneath her lashes, he could tell she was thinking seriously about something. While she passed him by, Ashton slid carefully out of the alley and came after her from across the street.

He tugged his coat's collar high it covered half the sides of his face. He walked by the wall of the building in relaxed manner to avoid drawing attention. The street was busy and crowded. His unusual height made him easy to stalk her over the heads of the people in front of him, but he was fully aware that it made him easy to be seen as well.