Chapter 16

Disclaimer!

Please be informed that these earlier chapters are samples and starting from 12 March I will remove the rest of the chapters published in Wattpad. (chapter 18 - 43/end) because I just signed a contract with a reading apps and my story is now available in a paid platform (G**dnovel).

For some readers who left complaints in the comment after discovering this, I understand your disappointment but please be respectful. No need to use offensive emojis and abusive language. Everyday writers on Wattpad are struggling to deliver good stories for readers, pouring all their hearts and efforts into it.

For all of you who has reached out to me politely, thank you very much. It's good to know there are still good people out there who appreciate aspired writers like me who's still struggling to make a living out of it. For you who choose to follow my story in paid program, I can't thank you enough. It means so much to me to be rewarded for my work.

For you who have just stumbled upon this chapter, now that you know this is a sample, you can decide whether to follow it or not. If you choose to continue reading, thank you. Know that you have helped and supported an aspired writer to grow and thrive. If you don't, it's OK and thank you for giving my story a chance.

******

Flocks of guests arrived at the inn before nightfall. Magnolia Inn was the best accommodation in the area and Lord Waldorf's invitees flooded the place every year at the same time, in the end of autumn.

"Gosh, I forgot my handkerchief!" Lady Byrne suddenly said when Ava escorted her to the large dining room. It was dinner time and the guests started to pour into the room.

"Can you fetch it for me, darling?"

"Of course, my lady. I'll be right back."

As soon as Ava rounded a corner and disappeared, Lady Byrne rushed to an elegant couple sitting at the best table in the room.

"My lord, my lady. How delightful to see you."
Lady Byrne greeted the couple as she performed an elegant curtsy.

"Countess Byrne, nice to meet you here." Lady Cecily replied politely while Lord Carlton nodded at the older woman. A moment later, both ladies talked about the weather and their journey.

"I haven't seen His Grace and His Lordship. Surely they're coming as well?" The lady mentioned Magnus casually, and of course she had to mention his cousin as well not to raise any suspicion.

"His Grace is coming with Lady Selene Wyndham and her parents, Lord Wyndham and Her Royal Highness Princess Charlotte, they will be joining us here at any moment."
Lady Cecily paused for a while.
"My son has to go to London to settle some important business matters regarding our investment in the railways. It's kind of ... urgent."
Lord Carlton snorted beside her.

"Oh, dear!" Lady Byrne blurted. "That's too bad."

"Pardon?" Lady Cecily frowned at Lady Byrne unexpected response.

"Oh I mean... that's too bad His Lordship couldn't attend Lord Waldorf's house party. He would miss all the amusement there."

"Indeed." After a moment's silence, Lady Cecily replied. Lady Byrne made a polite excuse and left the couple. Ava joined her some time later at their dining table.

"Oh, dear." The lady looked at her with pitiful gaze.

"My lady? What's wrong?" Ava glanced worrily at her.

"Nothing..." the lady looked away from her, pretending to scrutinize the pattern of the tablemat.

"Good Lord! Carlton!" Lady Cecily hissed as she squeezed her husband's hand.
"Look who's sitting next to Countess Byrne!"