Chapter 17

Hello my dear readers, please follow my author instagram account: jkromanceauthor

Beyond the massive rolling green grassland loomed Lord Waldorf's Elizabethan Palace. Three stories high, the mansion stood gloriously against the background of sheltering trees, faraway mountains and clear blue sky.

"Look, here we are at last! Beautiful, isn't it?"
Lady Byrne opened the window and leaned out to have a better look. A sudden gust of wind blew her untied bonnets out of the window.

"My hat!!! Oh dear!"

The hat flew by several yards away and caught in a branch of willow tree. Fortunately it trapped in the lower branch, the pink silk ribbon hanging down and rippling in the breeze.

"I'll get it."
Ava alighted from the carriage after the lady ordered the coachman to stop. She rushed to the tree by the edge of the road. Ava stood on her tiptoes and stretched out to reach the hanging ribbon, but it was still too far. She tried again, once, twice, suddenly a leather-gloved hand came from behind her and took the hat. She turned around to see the man who helped her.

For an instant, she was struck by a sudden fascination. Standing before her was one of the most impressive creatures she had ever seen. The man was a vision of masculinity and elegance. She couldn't describe his face as handsome, although it wasn't rough or rugged either. His dark hair was rebelliously longer than proper, falling to his collar. His eyes were a brilliant grey like a silver lightning, sharp and piercing set in a refined, aristocratic feature. For a moment, his eyes held her hostage. Those heart-stopping eyes seemed like they could see into the depth of the soul and never missed a thing. Her eyes traveled down and lingered on his mouth. She held her breath almost unconsciously. The mouth looked like it was made for sin. Like it was made for naughty whispers and scorching kisses. He was tall and slender, broad-shouldered with no excessive bulk in his lithesome figure. All about him spoke of vigorous health and virility, and powerful sensuality. The man smiled and passed the bonnet to her.

"Thank you, sir."
She gasped, brought back to the present. The man seemed to drown out everything around him.

"I'm just happy I happened to be here."
His voice was velvety rough, like a man who had just awakened from a deep sleep. His gaze cruised the shape of her and she felt her hair nape rising in alarm. There was only one man could have this effect on her with just one glance. In an instant she recognized the same air of superiority about them. Just as the other man was, this one was a lethal male.

"I truly believe that people cross paths for a reason. May I beg to know your name, Miss?"

"Never mind my name. I'm no miss, Sir. I'm coming to accompany my lady."
From his impeccably tailored clothing, Ava knew instantly that he was a gentleman, and a highborn such as him should not be associating with women of her station.

"Um, my lady is waiting. I have to go, Sir. Again, thank you."
Not waiting for his response, she sidestepped him and rushed to the waiting carriage.

"My God! Dear, you just met Lord Blackthorne!"
Lady Byrne screeched the moment Ava stepped into the carriage.

"Who?"

"The Earl of Blackthorne! Lothario of London! Such a dashing rogue, isn't he? Half of the women in the country are dying to have a minute with him!"

"And what about the other half?"
Ava asked jokingly, thoroughly amused by the lady's excitement.

"They are either children or oldsters like me."

They burst in laughter and turned in their seat to look at him through the back window as he entered his coach behind them. He must knew immediately she was going to the same direction as he was.