Chapter 3

I silently began to clear away the home I had made.  I packed some easy to carry food into a large backpack as well as the blanket, some money and a few garbage bags.

I open the last few cans and offered some to Naztazia.  We both ate silently.  Gloom hung in the room.

" Will you return to faerie tonight?" I asked.

" I'd hope too.  Is there somewhere nearby we can hide out until nightfall?"

"Yes, my brother and I had a fort, we will go there when they leave for soccer."

Naztazia nodded.  "Will you come with me Daniel?"

I looked up in shock.

"Go with you?  To faerie?  Can I even do that?"

Naztazia smiled, "Well there's nothing here for you is there?"

I looked down, shaking my head no.

Naztazia grabbed my hand and curled our fingers together.  "Good, you can come with me, my home can be yours as well."

I looked up smiling.  "Naztazia, thank you".

"Can you read to me while we wait?" She asked.  "I like that story."

I nodded and dug it out of my backpack.  Time passed as my voice filled the attic.  Naztazia had leaned on to my shoulder as I read and I felt her grow heavy.  She had fallen asleep.  I smiled in continued to read as the room grew darker.

Jolting I realize that fallen asleep as well.  Complete darkness will be added.  I gently shook Naztazia to wake her.

"Naztazia, come on, it's dark." I whispered feeling in my bag for my flashlight.  She looked around, blinking then rose and followed me to the window.  I opened it and climbed through.  Noises could be her downstairs.

"Shoot!  Their home.  Hang on a second, I have to go undo the locks.  "

A return of the attic at unlocking the door and grabbing my book before returning to Naztazia who waited for me on the porch roof.

"Umm, I'd meant to leave when they were gone.  We'll have to go down the trellis now." I looked at Naztazia.

"Don't worry Daniel.  I can do this.  We have trees in faerie too." She laughed softly.

I climbed down first and watched her carefully follow me.  I sighed in relief when she made down ok.

" It's late.  Almost 11, we could wait in the garden for them to go to bed or you can go now." I told her.

"We, we can go now" she corrected nodding and pulling me forward.

Luckily it was very dark here, even someone had looked outside they would not see us.  Naztazia began to chant.  The air around a seem to shimmer.  I looked at her again, her skin was glowing but her face was pulled into a frown.  Her voice rose a little and she said the strange words with more force.

The back door banged as someone came aside.  I grabbed Naztazia and fell to the ground with her, rolling us towards a hedge.

"Is someone out there?" I heard my mom call out.

Grunting was loud on the other side of the hedge.

"I guess not." Came my dad's voice.  Then the door banged again as they went back into the house.

And if the breath I had realized I'd been holding and looked down at Naztazia.

"Are you ok?" I whispered.

"A little squished," she replied wiggling.

I moved away, "Sorry, I didn't want them to see you."

"It's ok the Daniel.  It wasn't a working anyways.  I think someone shut the portal."

"Shut it?  Is that possible?"

"Yes, and portals were always closed on this side until the darkness broke out."

"So, you can't go home now?" I asked stunned.

" I don't know", she replied.  "We need shelter Daniel.  Maybe there's another one nearby."

"Come on,the fort will still work." I pulled her up and lead her into the woods.

This wasn't  good.Now would we do?