Chapter 11

Although the day was long and we stopped only to rest the creatures either pulling wagons or being ridden, soon nightfall came.With it, a tall castle like building rose in the near distance.

" What is that? Naztazia?" I asked.

"Oh, thank goodness! It is the High Counsel's home, Daniel.I was worried we would not make it to night.The full moon gives extra light though, and it should be less then an hour away"

Naztazia had barely finished speaking when Dryden called a halt.Naztazia looked around. She seemed surprised by the stop.

"I will take Naztazia , her human and Kamella to the High Council.The rest of you will set up camp!", Dryden's voice rang out.

Our wagon's handler jumped down and quickly tied his wagon to a nearby tree.Dryden and Kamella approached on horseback.Kamella leading a third horse.

"Come Naztazia, we will journey more quickly as a smaller group, and I know the High Counsel would prefer just the four of us, better then this lot." Dryden smiled as he spoke.

Quickly we both left the carriage.I glanced around.No one had brought a horse for me and I was not sure how they meant for me to go with them.

Naztazia however, quickly mounted her horse and held a hand out to me.

"Come Daniel, you will ride with me."

I gulped, I had never been on a horse but knew this was what I'd have to do to remain with Naztazia.I grasped her hand and stuck my foot in a leather shaped loop as she instructed.Carefully I climbed up behind her.We were pressed very close, my chest to her back.

"Naztazia! " Dryden's voice shifted my thoughts.

"Let's go, before the moon wanes".

Naztazia's hand touched my thigh before she began to lead her horse after Dryden's.It was odd to be up so high but the gentle rocking of the horse was comfortable.

I peered into the twilight like darkness as Naztazia followed Dryden.After what seemed like a few miles I could make out a glimmering line that stretched away from us in both directions.

"Naztazia?" I whispered into her ear.

"Yes?", her soft voice answered.

"What is that line there glittering on the ground?"

Naztazia pulled her horse to a stop.Twisting herself around until she could see me.

"A guardian line.You can truly see that Daniel?"

I nodded."Is that bad?"

She twisted back around and flicked her reins.As we began to move again, she spoke as well.

"A guardian line is layed down by the highest of the council.It protects and announces everyone within or entering its area.This one goes around the High Council's home.It is not normal for anyone to see it except for those who's fae glamour is strong.I have not never heard of humans being able to see it, but then again it has been awhile since humans were in our world."

Naztazia's hand clasped my thigh as if she was reassuring me.

As we rode on in silence, I watched the golden line as we approached.It seemed to rise up in one spot just ahead of us, forming a gate.I gasped, Naztazia too as the gate solidified.

Dryden stopped his and Kamella's horses just a short space away.

"Naztazia?" he questioned looking our way.

"I do not understand this, Dryden.Maybe the land recognizes you as the soon to be new king?", Naztazia suggested.

"May perhaps.Should I just ride through it?" Dryden questioned us all.

I shrugged, it was way beyond my knowledge, but if Naztazia said so, I believed her.

Dryden touched his feet into his horses sides and began forward slowly.We all watched as he approached the gate.A thin door dropped, halting his approach.Dryden's horse reared as it startled, dropping its rider to the ground.Kamella was off her mount and by his side in a moment.

"Dryden? Are you ok?" she asked.

Before he could answer the door rose.

"Um, maybe you need to go through it with your mate or pairing..." I suggested.

Dryden's eyes flicked to Naztazia, he nodded.Then accepted Kamella's hand up.

I watched as Kamella began to back away, but Dryden simple held her hand tightly and stepped towards the gate.

Shock filled Kamella's face, then joy, as they stepped through.

"I see the gate of Joining has returned to us." A voice rang out.

A woman, cloaked in silver stepped from behind the castle like gates.

"King Dryden, Lady Kamella.Fae has picked its new leaders well." the woman bowed to the pair.

Dryden's face held shock," My High Woman", he said bowing low."What do you mean..returned to us?I am not King, Father is."

"I will explain it all soon, My King, first let us allow your guests to come to us."She turned to face Naztazia and I."Although, I do recommend you leave the horse.The power of the gate overwhelms them"

Naztazia and I dismounted quickly.Reaching for each others hands, we approached the gates.

The Wise woman's voice rang out again," What the Joining Gate decides can not be undone by any fae or human", she beckoned us forward.

I pulled Naztazia to a halt.Turning her to face me, I traced her cheek and kissed her lightly. Before stepping us sideways through the gate.

My lips still against hers, I could feel a strong gust of wind tearing at our clothes, light fluttered against my closed eyelids and my skin tingled, another step and I felt the wind cease.

A loud gasp forced me to open my eyes.Naztazia was glowing! A shimmer covered her still closed eyes, I stepped back noting that it covered all of her.I looked at our clasped hands, which pulsed with light that flowed from myself to her and returned to cover my own body as well.

Naztazia's eyes opened, " I guess your staying with me now, " she smiled and turned to our audience.

"Well." the High woman sighed, "Welcome my Great Lord and Lady, many years have pasted since Fae choose someone to embody it.Welcome!"