Chapter 10

Ch 10

Traveling was not fun.

I learned that faerie or fae liked to travel in groups, and either by horse back or in carriages pulled by these odd creatures that looked like a cross between a horse and a lion.These creatures seemed gentle enough, but their teeth made me wary.

Naztazia had introduced me to Dryden.Who I had tried to like, yet he seems too familiar with her.He had ordered her to ride with him, and she had gone off to do so without even glancing back at me.I had to ride in a carriage with a very angry looking female guard.

"Hi, I'm Daniel", I ventured, hoping she would be friendly.This was gonna be a long day and since Naztazia had left me, I'd hoped to spend some time talking to someone.

An un-lady like snort filled the air.

"Did you wish to not come?"I tried again.Surely she couldn't be this unhappy to be here.

"I wish to be with my loved one.You make no difference to me." She finally replied.

"Oh."What could I say to that?She seemed to realize her attitude.

"It's just I hate to watch him with other females.Until we are paired he may change his mind.I can not.If I can't be with him I will go into the fade."

"The fade?Isn't that like death to your kind?" I asked, surprised that she would do such a thing just because of a guy.

"Yes, I have done too many things for him, if it was to be found out I'd be there anyways."

"Can I ask?Who is he?"

"I can not say.He is above me, but insists he wants no other.We were to be paired this moon, but then she came back and everything changed.Now I have to escort you.", her anger rose again.

She came back?This had to be a coincidence.Naztazia was the only one I knew that had returned.I watched my guard.Her eyes seem to linger on Dryden.My heart rose.Maybe he was the one she spoke of!

"What can I call you?"

"Kamella" she replied, her eyes focused on Dryden and Naztazia as they rode together laughing.

I leaned back and watched the trail go by.Everytime Naztazia's laughter rang out, my jealousy rose, but I noticed Kamella's face would harden.Her hands were almost froze in fists, she had clenched them so tightly.

"Kamella? Here in faerie do ladies flirt to make guys jealous?"

Her gaze shot to mine."You mean speaking to another male to encourage another to want to claim you?"

"Yes.That is what I mean."

"We do.Why?"

"Would the male you were to be paired with be angry if he thought you were having a good time with me?"I stumbled over their unfamiliar wording for men and marriage.

"Yes, maybe doubly so since you are human."She looked at me speculatively.

Kamella smiled at me, a high laugh rang out as she gazed at me.I stared at her, she was very beautiful when she was not angry.I grinned back.

"See? That wasn't so hard!" She laughed again, I could feel eyes on us and I leaned closer, waving her forward.

"Kamella," I whispered.

She kept her smile in place as she whispered back in an equally low voice,"What?"

"Everyone is staring, I think this'll be easy! Can you tell if he's watching?"

Kamella's eyes flickered to the side of my face, she laughed again, her smile growing.

"Oh, yes.He's halting the line.He looks very angry with us."Kamella was very pleased looking.

"HALT!" Rang out over the group.Everyone stopped.Dryden rode his horse towards us with Naztazia following behind.

"Kamella! Naztazia has grown weary of my chatter.You will ride her mount for her.She will be with the human as she rests." His gaze flowed over me.

Kamella nodded, "Yes, sire", she grinned at me and quickly climbed out switching places with Naztazia.

Soo, we were off again.Naztazia had sat on my bench with me, I could feel her thigh so close to my own.

"What was Kamella laughing about?" She asked.I noticed she seemed angry.

"Kamella has a crush on your Dryden," I smirked.

"What? She does?" She stared at me. "He isn't MY anything, not now."

"He's not?" I scooted closer till we were pressed together.Her cheeks flushed pink.

"No, Daniel.He use to be my bethrothed, but no longer.I can't pair with him."

"Why Naztazia?" I ran my fingers down her cheek, the world had narrowed to just the two us.

"He has another, Kamella would challenge me, and I would step down.He is hers if she wishes to claim him."

I leaned back, taking my hand away from her face.We were both silent for a while.I wasn't sure what was coming but I knew I wanted Naztazia to be part of it with me.

Question was, did she actually wanna be with me?