Chapter 5

Shoji suggests that you follow him closely if you've never been to a mall like this before, so that's the plan the two of you stick to. Places like Forever 21, Torrid, Hot Topic, Famous Footwear, and Journey's stand in front of you, along with a few food joints. A lot of American places, too.

"Is there a place you want to go first?" The tall, tan man asks you, looking down to make eye contact.

Your eyes locked with his for a moment before you take a look over the stores with a smile. "How about Hot Topic? A lot of the stuff there is stuff in my style." You nearly stuttered, swallowing hard and wondering why you felt like stumbling over your words. Though, you brush it off as being nervous to meet one of Ojiro's friends.

With a nod, Shoji takes you into the store. From how packed the mall is, this place only had a few people in it. Thankful for that, you take your time looking around at a wall of hats and face masks, loving the style and details on all of them. Shoji stands behind you, looking over sweatpants with a bunch of dark patterns, or just plain black sweatpants. After a few moments, he has a pair of navy blue sweats laid along his arms, now casually looking over some shirts.

From the hats, you grabbed a dark (f/c) beanie with the word "dad" in a small, thin Japanese font. Your attention turns to Shoji, seeing his interest with the t-shirts. "I don't mean to seem rude," you start, thinking of a way to say it without sounding like a total jackass, though regretting even opening your mouth in the first place, "but how would you wear a normal shirt, like the ones you're looking at?"

His eyes looked to you, not as if he had been offended, but as if he expected the question. One of his hands points up to his right shoulder, the one facing you. "Because of the fact these tentacles are considered arms most of the time, I have three shoulders." The way he explains it to you so matter-of-factly, he seems interested in himself. "A normal shirt, like the one you have on, wouldn't be able to fit, unless it was a custom fabric or custom made. If I buy them like this, I take them to the dorms and cut the sleeves off." From his mask, you can see his cheeks rise, as though he was smiling, though just faintly.

It takes you a moment to absorb the information. "Oh, that's interesting. Have you ever worn a long sleeved shirt?" You ask him, eyes scanning him curiously. Silently, he shakes his head while putting back a pale blue and black shirt with the word "love" in all capitals, bolded in Japanese. You were content with just the hat, so the two of you went to the counter and paid for it, getting a small bag. Shoji soon follows, and you walk out of the store with black Hot Topic bags.

You both go to a few other stores, only buying a few small things from each one. Though, we get to Forever 21, where we meet Mina and Sero. The pink woman and you pick out outfits, talk a lot more, and try on a lot of random clothes. In the fitting room, you try on clothes that you wouldn't be caught dead in, or stuff that you really enjoy wearing. Each of you pick out an outfit you really liked and buy it; mine being a dark (f/c) long sleeve, checkerboard print and roses snaking up the sleeves, a pair of (f. style) jeans with a few rips in it, and a pair of matching dark (sneakers/heels). Mina complimented your style, saying that the outfit fit your personality very well. It was not too feminine for you, but also teetered on being masculine. The sweet words made your heart feel full.

The whole time, you had forgotten about the two boys until Mina brought up Shoji. "I was a little surprised to see that he actually came out with us today. Normally, he'll only leave the dorms for school, or occasionally on weekends." She jokes, smiling.

You think about it for a second, tapping your chin with the knuckle of your index finger. "Actually, that doesn't surprise me." Your voice was calm as you walked out of the store, assuming that the two boys had left to find the others.