Chapter 45

The first match was between Bakugou and Awase, a plain looking boy from class 2B. Unsurprisingly, the hot-headed blonde came out victorious. He had used his quirk in ways you hadn’t ever seen him use it in. He was much more strategic and careful with his blows. Awase had absolutely no chance, though he didn’t go down without a fight.

The next match between Ojiro and Kirishima lasted a bit longer, though it was no real surprise to you when Kirishima came out on top. Using his hardening quirk against someone like Ojiro definitely has its benefits. While trying to use his tail against his opponent, he soon realized it was the equivalent of beating a jagged boulder. Cuts laced his flesh, and a pale pink bruise had begun to form. Kirishima found that weakening his opponent before knocking them out of the ring was much easier than going full throttle in the very beginning.

Midoriya had nearly lost his match against Honenuki, but a quick thinking move enabled his victory. The odd-mouthed teenager had made the concrete mold like quicksand, and had sent currents through it in an attempt to knock your fellow classmate out of bounds. However, from your spot in the stands, you could see Midoriya holding his wrist while aiming towards the white line. A wave of what seemed to be wind passed through his hand as he was sent flying towards his opponent. Honenuki was not expecting it and was hit with Midoriay’s body. The green-haired teenager outweighed the other, sending the 2B student backwards. His foot landed out of bounds, bringing the match to a quick close.

Much to your surprise, Shoji actually won against Uraraka. Their fight had been mostly close combat, given that both of their quirks relied on short distance. After they landed a few blows to each other, Uraraka had touched Shoji with the tips of her fingers, sending him flying in the air. However, it was very clear that the rosy cheeked girl didn’t think through her plan entirely; Shoji used the webbing-like skin between his arms and tentacles to navigate himself through the air. It was similar to watching a bird, though his inelegant form told you he was quite literally winging it. Shoji had created multiple mouths, each one throwing Uraraka off guard, before he was given a clear opportunity to kick her out of bounds.

Now it was your turn, and you had to go up against Hagakure. She was just as nervous as you, but showed it in an entirely different way. When you stepped onto the concrete platform, the crowd roared in excitement for someone new in this year. Sweat formed on your forehead, though a simple wipe from your gym uniform cleaned it from your (s/t) skin.

The invisible girl stepped up. The crowd was just as excited. Though you couldn’t tell for sure, you had an odd feeling that she was smiling. “Hope all goes well for you, Hon!” She shouts from across the arena.

Your ears strained to hear her over all the chaos. “Likewise.” You reciprocate the kind gesture as Midnight calls for the match to start.

To your surprise, Hagakure made the first move. She was on you quickly. The way her body moved with such ease struck you with a wave of disbelief. The only way you could tell what she was going to do with her arms was by the movements of her sleeves.

She swung at your face, causing you to bend your back and dodge. You felt something sting your exposed collarbone, though you had no time to look at what she had done. “You’re fast,” the girl said, “for someone who’s just started training.”

With those words in mind, it struck a bolt of confidence in you. When she drew back, it gave you an opening to her chest. Your arm swung to give you leverage before you threw your body towards her. The girl gasped as your knee collided with her stomach. From all around you, the crowd roared in excitement.

You felt another stinging sensation in your calf, and the realization hit you. “You’re scratching me? Using your nails?” You ask aloud, twisting your knee as you push yourself off of her.