Chapter 48

“I’m so very thankful to have attended such an outstanding school.” Iida began to wrap up his speech while clapping his hands together once firmly. “Along my way, I’ve met dozens of people that still inspire me to this day. Seeing them grow and change as people has led me to do the same. In my journey to become a hero and follow in my family’s footsteps, I will be sure to remember my peers every day. I would also like to thank the teachers who never stopped believing in our year-- even though we tried many of their patiences.” A murmur of laughter passes throughout the auditorium. “Hopefully my peers, along with myself, can become great heroes, inventors, and overall successful people. I know that many of the friends I’ve gained along the way will soon pay homage to this wonderful school by becoming strong heroes. Thank you all.” With that, he steps away from the podium and bows his head.

An applause cuts through the once silent space. Today had been the day you were to graduate from UA. Yesterday had been a hectic day for you; it was the day you had to get your hero license, after all. You hadn’t been able to get it as a second year because you had lost focus and failed your first try. Luckily, you were able to retake it and pass.

Present Mic stood up at the podium and looked down at his students. “Well, that seems to wrap up the ceremony. As a teacher and a hero, I can say that I know all of you will accomplish great things with this wicked opportunity you’ve been given.” For a second, he seems to look directly at you. “Make sure UA made the right choice letting you through here.”

With that, he stepped back from the podium and began to clap his hands together. Aizawa, who had been standing next to him, mimicked him. Soon, an applause was once again roaring through the room. Many of your classmates stood as they clapped, where others began to tear up.

You looked up at Shoji. He had been seated on your left. You could see very clearly that there were tears pricked in his eyes, though he hastily wiped them away. Your hand found its way to his. The both of you laced your fingers between one another's. It was then that the room became filled with motion. Everyone began to stand and walk towards the exit of the large auditorium.

“We’re graduating.” You whisper to yourself softly, holding onto your boyfriend’s hand just a bit tighter.

He chuckles softly while standing. “We graduated.” He corrected you. “The ceremony is over.”

The two of you walk hand and hand out of the large space. A few of your classmates hang back and wait for others, where some march through and head to their box-lockers to collect their things. Shoji had already had everything set up in his backpack, so all he had to do was grab it and leave.

“Are your parents here to pick you up and bring you home, or are you going to the dorms first?” You ask him, a smile on your face.

His expression changes from under his mask, though you can’t quite tell what it means. “My mom said that they’ve already moved my things from the dorm room, but she told me to go to the dorms and say my goodbyes. I have to call her when I’m done.”

You nod your head softly, having it bob up and down in a slow motion. So much of you wanted to ask to stay with him at his home, but you knew better than to do that. “Ah, well at least you get to say goodbye to everyone. I know that we’re all going to stay in contact with each other, and I think that Jirou and Mina were talking about a group chat.” The end of your sentence dragged.

Shoji took close note of your voice as he led you through a crowd of your classmates. Getting to each other's lockers seemed to be more of an ordeal than either of you assumed it to be. “Are you alright?” He asks while finally reaching up to his locker box.