Chapter 1 - The Royal Announcement

Marinette's Pov:

I wake up to the sound of someone screaming in my ear.
"Marinette! You're going to be late for school!" Tikki screamed. I jump out of bed and grab some clothes lying on my chair. Tikki must have put them there last night. I run down to the bakery, grabbing a croissant and shoving it in my mouth. I go to rush out the door when my aunt called me.
"Marinette, wait, there's something really important I need to talk to you about." She said trying to make me stop.

Seriously, I need to get to school!

"Sorry Aunt Sabine, I can't stay, I'm already late enough. Tell me when I come back for lunch. Bye" I hurriedly said before I ran out the door towards my school which was luckily just across the road. I ran through the big doors, up the stairs and burst into the classroom.
"I'm here miss, I'm here miss" I yelled running into the classroom falling into my seat next to my best friend Alya.

"Nice outfit girl," Alya said looking at my outfit. I finally looked down to see what I was wearing.

Outfit for the day...

I'm so glad Tikki has the same good taste in fashion as I do

"Ok Marinette, take your seat," Miss Bustier said not looking up from her laptop. "Anyway, I have some very exciting news about the French school's tournament our school participated in a couple of months ago" Miss said as everyone went quiet listening intently to see if we won. "Our school won first place!" She said excitedly. Suddenly our whole class was cheering and going crazy. I started thinking to myself...

They never said what first place would win... But I guess she's about to tell us now.

"For winning the competition we won an all-expense paid trip to China for 2 months to learn about its culture" she said excitedly. I was so excited.

Yay, I get to show my class my home country. I'm already going there tomorrow anyway but now they are coming too. The class could even stay at my mansion!

"And while we're there we have also been invited by the King and Queen themselves to the coronation of their daughter becoming the EMPRESS OF CHINA!" Miss Bustier said. Everyone was excited except for me, Nino, and Chloe. We barely hid our shock because on the inside we were all screaming in fear.

Let me explain a bit...
I'M the Princess of China and I'M the one meant to be crowned Empress in a month. Where does Nino and Chloe fit into all of this? Well.... Nino's my cousin. But he's more like a brother. We grew up under the same roof... well, castle... so yeah. Anyway, my dad, (the King) and Nino's Mum (China's Lady in Waiting) are half siblings. We look nothing alike because Nino got his looks from his dad who is Moroccan. Nino also happens to be my bodyguard. As for Chloe, well, we've been best friends since birth. Even though she lives in Paris she would constantly be visiting China since her father had lots of business with my grandfather (the late emperor of China).

When I was 8 years old I had to go into hiding. I decided to go live in Paris so Nino had to come with me here. It meant I could spend more time with Chloe. We had to pretend to hate each other in school so nobody would find out my identity, then we would call each other every night and laugh about what we said to each other. It was like a 'mean act'.

Anyway, we aren't allowed to tell anyone else about our secret, especially our friends. The reason me and Nino went into hiding was because some people in China want us and anyone we're close with dead. You know... since we're royalty. I understand that not everyone agrees with the royal family. But these people are insane. Like can't you just make a stand or something instead of trying to KILL us! Anyway, we've been in hiding for the past 10 years. But now that my grandfather Emperor Shi-Lan Cheng has passed away, I am next in line for the throne. While in Paris me and Nino both lived with our aunts and uncles on our non-royal side of the families. So I live with my mother's sister Sabine and Nino lives with his aunt on his father's side. But everyone in Paris thinks our aunts and uncles are our parents, except for Chloe of course. For safety purposes. Anyway, moving on.

Soon enough everyone was looking at us. They probably thought we had gone crazy since we were just looking into space not even blinking once. Even when Alya waved her hand in front of my face. When suddenly...
"ouch, ALYA!" I screamed just after Alya had PINCHED me.
"Sorry Girl, you were staring off into space. So were you Nino" Alya said changing her gaze between me and Nino. Seems nobody noticed Chole's shock... that's a relief.
"Sorry" we said looking down at our hands.

Adrien's POV:

"Well, anyway I have already spoken to your parents, and they have all agreed to let you go," Miss Bustier continued.
"We will be meeting here at school tomorrow at 8am, so don't be late. Or we will miss our flight. You are dismissed to go home and pack. Remember, tomorrow 8am," Miss Bustier said as everyone got up to go home and pack while talking excitedly about spending 2 months in China.
"Isn't this exciting Marinette?" I said while grabbing my bag.
"Yeah, it is" she replied hesitantly. It seemed like something was bothering her, like she didn't want to go to China. Which is weird considering her family's from there. I didn't get to think much further on the topic as the gorilla came to pick me up.