Chapter 8

It had been a week since Zak had been sent to the principal's office and it was one of the most enjoyable and pleasant weeks of Zak's life. Each day was packed with adventure and excitement, Darryl brightened Zak's life and he couldn't be more satisfied that the other had been somewhat forced into it. They had gone on many adventures within the short week as a duo and as a trio- including Vincent, of course. They even had their own personal table at lunch and their exceptional cafe and even the librarian that despised teenagers grew eager for Darryl and his new friends. Zak beamed as he sprawled against the other, his head lay against the chest of the other, the sky above them darkened yet clear and full of stars. Darryl had decided to drive them to a hill nearby to stargaze as a reward for Zak's focus in his English and Maths lessons, and Zak relished it a lot, considering when he was younger his teachers didn't praise him whenever he was good.

That's when his lack of attention started because his teachers didn't realise that the 'naughty' kid was just looking for some attention, especially when his parents were out a lot and he was left to play video games for a while.

Delicate and feathery, yet grey - clouds hovered above the two boys. Just them, the sky and the sound of each other's heartbeats humming peacefully in their chests as they lay gazing at the white speckled dots- that remained scattered across the sky. Zak let out a shaky breath, his face flushed a soft red as he looked up at the other's face, who was distracted by the gorgeous view of the stars through the treetops. He smiled wholesomely as the other looked back to him with those gentle, green eyes and hugged him tighter to the body of the other.

"It's weird how close we are even though we've only known each other for like a week," Zak mumbled, his face hidden in the other's chest as the taller boy smiled gently.

"Not really," Darryl replied softly, humming slightly at the end before continuing, "Not to sound weird, but I'm glad we're friends. My life has been pretty dull without you so I'm glad we met."

Zak nodded in agreement, happy that the other had the same sort of feelings as him. Zak huddled closer, letting the other know just how much he enjoyed his company and soon after Zak felt the same amount of force snuggle into his back and he felt amazing. Despite his flustered face, he smiled, this was his best friend and he hoped that he was Darryl's best friend as well. He loved the boy a lot more than he could show and appreciated the good influence on his life. Even Vincent admired the other greatly due to his good leadership skills and ability to calm Zak down or at least keep him controlled to the point he didn't throw a childish tantrum every few minutes. He grinned at his own personality, he was so glad to find someone who could level him out. He was in heaven- or as close to heaven as a human could get, but he couldn't help but let one thought get to him...

'How long would this really last?'

Darryl observed the sky with enthusiasm in his eyes, he hadn't been able to experience life as greatly as he had done in the past week. He couldn't wait to spend the remainder of his life as friends with this mysterious yet so known boy. He learnt something new about Zak every day, like how Zak was an Art Representative for their school or how Zak secretly admired all the nerds despite hiding it greatly, he loved how intelligent and focused they were and was even jealous that they didn't get in trouble all the time. He smiled, proud of the other boy as he let out a fluttery breath, his chest felt all excited and filled with butterflies as he lay, the other boy against his chest staring at the sky curiously. He felt the other snuggle into him and it was his pleasure and duty to cuddle him back. He felt the other hum insignificantly in content and things couldn't be better until one thought crossed his mind...

'How long until he gets sick of me?'

The two boys both let out a exhalation at the same time before apprehending how late it really was when Zak shivered slightly from the cold. Darryl let out a sigh, patting Zak to warn him he was going to stand up.

"It's time to head back home, muffin," Darryl spoke standing up and helping Zak up, careful not to tug on his hand too hard as they learnt from last time that Zak was a lot lighter than Darryl thought, it was still funny to see them both tumble out of shock though. "Actually... It's a Saturday night and none of us have class tomorrow so... Do you want to- well, you don't have to-"

"What?" Zak interrupted, knowing the other would probably go on forever stuttering and stammering to get the question out despite it probably being an extremely reasonable question.

"Oh right, sorry. Do you want to sleepover at my dorm?"

Zak thought for a second before grinning at the other, "Sure, it's not like I want to leave so we might as well."

The two walked quickly to Darry'ls car, Darryl's arm resting on Zak's shoulder as they walked side by side until they got to the red car. Darryl grinned as the other sat down in the passenger side of his car and he slid himself into the driver's seat, inserting the keys into the hole and the car let out a soft hum. Darryl bent down to itch his leg from the grass that was rubbed against it previously, before sitting up and smiling politely as Zak put on his playlist which consisted of random Taylor Swift songs and a collection of remixes to other pop songs. Darryl didn't mind though- as long as his friend was happy, so was he.