Chapter 26

"They did- They did what?" Techno stuttered, not really believing that they would kick Skeppy, the best player on that stupid team, off!

"I- The coach, he, decided, to uh, completely kick me from the team," Zak sniffled through the tears, rubbing at his face with the sleeves of the top he had just changed into. "To make it worse, he told me that- Told me that there was an art program in Denson's... Fucking Denson's! He wants me to move school like-"

"What the fuck," Dave cut in, stepping back from the other slightly and messing with the back of his neck nervously. "So what are you going to do?"

Zak stopped and paused for a minute, his breath shaky and his eyes jittering as his body trembled with sadness and confusion, "What can I do?"

Dave sighed as he watched the younger trudge slowly out of the locker room and down the hall, his bag dragging behind him sadly. Techno really wanted to go after the younger, he did! But... he knew Skeppy needed to be alone right now, and he didn't want to risk the same fate as him. Dave was first to practice as usual, so early that he got to greet the Invaded players as they left to go into the sweaty locker room.

"Hey, Zelk!"

"Techno, good luck."

"You too."

Dave thought for a second wait... did that even make sense? Why would he wish Zelkam luck, he wasn't doing anything? He sighed giving up on the thought besides he had to focus. Focus on his game, on beating the others and focus on a way to make Zak feel better and get him back on the team.

Zak sighed, his bag dragging against the floor as he walked up the stairs to the junior dorms before eventually deciding he wasn't high enough and went up another flight of concrete stairs. Zak didn't want to stop his feet crashing against the ground like all the hopes he had previously, he huffed as he was weighed down by his bag, throwing it carelessly on the stairs. He ran faster, his heart pounding harder and his head dizzy with the tears of frustration that brimmed his eyes until suddenly he reached the end. His shoulder barging violently against the door to the rooftop and his body fell forward, slamming harshly against the concrete and scraping his knees through his jeans.

"Skeppy?

He looked up to see the blonde boy staring curiously at him, his vibrant green eyes containing mystery and wonder expressed the boy's worry, shock, and absolute confusion. The blonde stepped away from the fencing of the rooftop quickly and he helped the raven-haired teen up caringly.

"Dream?"

The blonde nodded walking back towards the edge, beckoning Zak to follow him. As he walked towards the slightly older, his eyes wandered curiously to the warm, gorgeous sky; the sun slowly setting in the background of the city view.

"So what brings you up here?" Dream's soft voice cut into the silence, his breath warm in the cold air and his eyes glancing over the dark city below them, the sun slowly losing it's precious rays as night time fell on them.

"Oh, I needed some air, and you... why are you up here?" Zak questioned curiously, turning to look at the other with his curious hazel eyes.

"I wanted to see the stars, I'm just waiting."

Zak looked back at the sky that had gotten darker before replying to Dream quietly as not to disturb the peace between them, "Don't tell Darryl or Vincent but... I got kicked from the team."

Dream looked at the shorter boy in surprise, Zak was one of, if not, the best player on the team, "Wait, what? Why?"

Zak looked down at the city below them, at the cold concrete street below before glancing back up to Dream, "Yeah, apparently I took too many days off... Coach didn't really like me anyway, he was always finding a reason to get me kicked off or to give me a warning so I guess it's for the best."