Chapter 14

Zak bounced excitedly as the taller led him to the car. Despite the familiarity of the situation, it still felt like a dream, like he would wake up any minute now and it would all be some sick and twisted joke; but the comforting smile from Darryl and the soft squeeze of a hand was all it took to reassure him. He trusted Darryl and loved him with all his heart, he was blindly in love and he didn't mind... not one bit. He was ecstatic as he sat down in the seat, maybe Darryl would want to come to a baseball match one day?

Darryl was nervous yet overjoyed as they both put on their seatbelts and Darryl began the drive to their destination. What if Zak didn't like what he had planned? What if Zak never wanted to speak to him for the stupid idea?

Darryl turned to the other one last time, Zak wouldn't stop speaking to him simply because of a bad date, they'd still be friends regardless. Besides even if he did, Darryl didn't need someone as toxic as that! Darryl gave off a soft smile as he pulled out of the school car park, but like he said, Zak wouldn't do that. Guess he'd just have to hope Zak would enjoy himself...

The two parked up in front of a large building, the bright lights showing Zak exactly where he was.

"The mall? Why are we here?" Zak asked curiously, unbuckling his belt quickly, wanting to stretch after the five minute drive, a bit confused as to why they even took the car when they could've walked.

"This is just one of a few places, cutie, besides it's not about the mall it's about what's inside," Darryl grinned as he got out the car, locking it as he intertwined Zaks fingers into his own, "Now come on."

Zak huffed, pouting at the vague response. Darryl chuckled at the others childish actions before speaking up, "If you're really that bothered, babe, we're here for the ice cream."

Zak's eyes widened with excitement, totally disregarding the fact that Darryl called him 'babe', "Ice-cream?"

Darryl paused, assuming Zak didn't like the idea because of the quiet and small reaction, "Well- I- Yeah... if you don't want to get any I-"

"What? Of course I want ice cream! Let's go," Zak shouted excitedly bouncing on his heels as he decided to lead Darryl to the ice cream shop. "I'll race you there!"

"Zak, Wait!" Darryl spoke but it was too late, the raven haired boy had already started sprinting, he huffed chasing after the other, ignoring all the rules of the community mall.

Zak was far ahead, entering the store quickly and the smell of sweets and flowers hit his nose. Darryl finally got to the store, panting and face all red as he caught his breath. Zak greeted the blonde teenager at the counter as he moved closer to look at the different flavours of ice cream, "Good afternoon!"

"Hey! What can I get you, hot stuff?" The girl flirted seductively, leaning over the counter slightly to show off her assets.

"Hm, I dunno actually," Zak crouched down to look at them all better, "Cookie dough looks good, ooooh! But Rocky road sounds interesting, hey, Darry what do you think?"

Darryl - who had finally caught his breath - leant an arm on the other, speaking softly into his ear, "How about both?"

Zak looked at Darryl curiously as he stood up, grabbing Darryl's bigger hand in his own.

"I'll have vanilla with raspberry sauce and my future boyfriend will have cookie dough and rocky road, please?" Darryl spoke, kissing the raven haired males cheek to show the girl he was somewhat taken or at least being pursued. Darryl smiled softly at the blonde teenager yet his eyes showed jealousy and almost disgust.

"That'll be $3.64, cash or card?"

Both boys went to pull out their wallets, Darryl smirked at Zak as he paid for both of them, "Cash. Look at me being a good date, cutie."

"One, stop calling me cutie! I've decided- I'm not cute and two, I'm paying next time, but uhh thank you," Zak smiled as his face grew red and he kissed the older's hand that was in his own with gratitude in mind.

The girl sighed, slightly upset the boy in front of her was taken, as she handed them their ice creams, "Have a-... have a nice date."

"You too!" Zak replied, excitedly walking out the store as he licked his ice cream, Darryl following quickly behind, not wanting to lose the other on the way to the car. "So what was that about?"

"Huh?"

"You know," Zak began, deepening his voice as he imitated the other, "I'm Darryl and I wanna order me and my future boyfriend some good cream."

"I- I do not sound like that!"

"Yes you sound exactly like that!" Zak whined yet also giggled as he continued, "That's not the point! Why future boyfriend? Why not present boyfriend?"

Darryl sighed as he softly smiled, "Well, why rush things when I can enjoy all my time here with you?"

Zak blushed, hiding his mouth in his sleeve for a second before finishing his ice cream. Darryl grinned at the other boy's reactions to his little flirty teasings. The brunette was always somewhat smooth, just a bit antisocial.

"Anyways, you ready to go the next destination, love?"

Zak nodded at the other as he got in the car, 'Where is Darryl gonna take me next?'

Darryl sighed looking at the the younger teenager who had taken to staring out the window and grinning as he was reminded of how he was on a date with the BadBoyHalo. "So...How do you like Arcades?"