Chapter 23

Zak snuggled into the warm material next to him, his soft breaths being listened to by the man who held him close tightly. The only sounds in the room where the boy's breathing and the soft hum of a radiator somewhere nearby. Darryl couldn't exactly see it in the dimly lit room but he could hear it to the left of him, maybe next to the balcony door? Not that it mattered. He sighed, just appreciating the moment as he stared at the sleeping boy curled next to him, snuggled tightly into his chest as they lay in the bed together. When the boys had finished their meals, Darryl drove the two back to the campus of their school and Zak fell asleep along the way. Darryl tried to wake him up but  ultimately failed as his gaze softened and he realised how tired the poor muffin must've been to be asleep that long in a car. Darryl took the liberty of carrying him to his dorm and when he lay the younger gently in bed, he couldn't bare to tear away the boy's arms from his chest in fear of waking him up. Darryl smiled gently as he closed his eyes, enjoying the soft moment of night time. It was peaceful and calm, he wondered if this could happen every night before realising Zak didn't even know he was in his bed. He sighed, not wanting to annoy the younger yet not wanting to wake him up, he would lose either way so why not enjoy himself? He smirked in his half-asleep state at the thought of Skeppy's flushed and confused face, all he had to do was wait for another six hours. After ten minutes, a semi-muffled 'ding' echoed from under the blankets, Darryl sighed as he reached carefully for his phone before realising it must've been Zaks because he had no new notifications. Who would be texting Zak at this time of night?

He huffed as the 'ding' sounded out again, almost stirring Zak awake. Darryl cautiously crabbed the others phone, sitting up to fully understand what was going on. A few more dings rang out and made Zak stir, his hazel eyes half open as he moved his head to Darryl's lap. The brunet sighed, gently moving Zak back to lying down against the pillow and kissing his forehead before checking out the notifications.

"Vincent? What does he want, that silly muffin? Does he ever even sleep?" Darryl questioned under his breath, unlocking Zak's phone, the younger didn't really have a password on it so it was extremely easy for Darryl. He opened up the messages noticing how panicked and rushed they sounded, his heartbeat picking up quickly.

'a6d: Skep
a6d: Skeppy
a6d: Skpe
a6d: Sekppy
a6d: WKAE UP
a6d: I RESLLY NEDE U RN
a6d: ITS ABOTU DREAM'

"Sheesh, and I thought Zak's typing was bad."

'Skeppy is typing. . .'

"What do I say?" Darryl muttered before letting out a breath as he opted to just call the french muffin.

-=-

Vincent let out a shaky breath as his phone rang, the brightness in his room was hurting his sleep-deprived, tired eyes. His lips quaky and down his cheeks slid soft tears, landing against his desk.

"Z-Zak?" His voice cracked as he spoke, his body shivering violently, "Hello?"

"Is everything ok, Vince?"

Vincent paused for a second... 'Why has Darryl got Zak's phone?'

"Listen, whatever is wrong, it's gonna be okay. If you're not comfortable with telling me that's fine and I understand that but I need you to know that you're not alone and whatever you're going thro-"

"I had a nightmare."

Darryl was cut off by the short reply of Vincent, quiet yet still audible in the almost silent night, "Aw, you poor muffin... What happened?"

Vincent thought for a second, was he really gonna pour his emotions out to Darryl? He knew the boy for awhile but not as long as Zak... He sighed realising it was the only way he would feel better. He sniffled and held in a sob as he began to speak, "So basically, I went to a diner and there's this jukebox, right?"

"Uh huh."

"And there was this guy with these super bright green eyes and he kept playing the same thing over and over again... But- The audio... the audio he was playing was Dream. He was telling me these awful things an- and I-"

"It's okay, you don't have to continue, I understand a6d-muffin," Darryl spoke up, cutting off the distressed boy, "I'm sure Dream would never say those bad things in real life and if he does he doesn't deserve to be your friend."

"I-... Thank you Darryl."

"No problem, do you need me to come over? We can watch a movie or something... I can't sleep."

"I'm good, I might go to sleep again- Uh, have you tried warm milk? I heard that's good for you at night."

"Hm, maybe I will try that, thanks Vince."

"No probl- Wait! Why do you have Zak's phone?"

Darryl's eyes widened in confusion before realising he was on Zak's phone, "Oh right, well you see... You remember when we went out with Dream yesterday? Well, I knew Zak was upset by it so I took him on a date and well..."

"He fell asleep, you were too soft to wake him up so you put him in bed and he wouldn't let go?" Vincent finished off for Darryl unimpressed.

"Pretty much."

"That's so cliché. Anyways Darryl I'm tired, have a goodnight."

"You too, you french muffin. Remember you're not alone."

With that the two boys ended the call, one going to sleep and he other going to snoop around Zak's apartment. Darryl didn't really find much of interest, a few pictures of Zak and Vincent and sometimes Dave, which upset Darryl because he wasn't on any- a laptop, three Xbox controllers and a broken one, an iPad covered in dust and some dirty looking clothes covered in mud on the ground. He groaned not finding anything of use before deciding to try Vincent's suggestion. He wondered to the kitchen sneakily, quiet so that he wouldn't wake the younger up. He cringed at the soft 'beep' as he opened the fridge before taking a look and freezing.

Where was the milk?

He looked around the fridge, believing he may of just missed it between the mouldy tubs of half eaten sandwiches and other simple finger foods before cringing at how disgusting Zak's fridge was. He didn't care about waking the boy up, now he needed to clean the fridge until all he could smell was cleanliness. He grabbed a bin bag off of the side, knowing Zak never touched them considering the packet was unopened and unused, still covered by the label. He numbly looked once more in the fridge before just dumping everything in the bin. Nothing was worth keeping. Darryl made a mental note to scold the boy on his disgusting hygiene before realising how bad Zak must have it if he didn't clean that bad. Nobody in their right mind would only nibble the sandwich before putting it back, at least eat half of it. He sighed as he closed the fridge, noting to go shopping for his boyfriend as he washed his hands. After that he quickly climbed into the warmth of he blankets, feeling instant relief and comfort as he thought.

'Boyfriend, I'm happy to call him that.'