Chapter 8

'Uncle?' Lauren thought to herself and her green eyes shifting between Professor Cavanagh and Selena.

A wide smile spread across Professor Cavanagh's features when his eyes landed on Lauren. "We've already had the pleasure of meeting. It's nice to see you again, Lauren. I'm glad you were able to make it." Professor Cavanagh told Selena and extended his hand as he and Lauren shook hands before the older man looked around the raven haired girl. "Where's Camila?"

"Busy with other plans. She's sorry that she couldn't be here tonight." Lauren responded.

"I see. That's a shame." Professor Cavanagh replied sadly but smiled again when his gaze fell on Selena. "So, Lauren, how did you make the acquaintance of my favorite niece?"

"Lauren and I met when we were children. I ran into her the other night and she invited me here." Selena answered and went to stand beside the raven haired girl.

"Is that so? So, the girl you would always talk about when you came home was Lauren." Professor Cavanagh said.

Lauren glanced at Selena, seeing her cheeks become slightly pink. "Uncle!" Selena exclaimed and playfully hitting Professor Cavanagh on the shoulder.

The man laughed heartily at his niece's antics. "Well, seeing that you two already know each other, I won't need to warn you about Selena's charm." Professor Cavanagh said before winking at Lauren.

"Professor Cavanagh!"

The scientist glanced to his left, seeing Harry and Naomi approaching them.

"Ah! I've been looking for the other Jauregui. How's that golf swing of yours coming?" Professor Cavanagh asked before shaking his hand.

"Better, thanks to your help. We'll have to go golfing again so I can show you my improved technique!" Harry replied with a wide grin.

"I look forward to it!" The older man answered.

Harry wound his arm around Naomi's waist, pulling her to him. "I'm sure you remember my beautiful girlfriend Naomi."

"Of course. It's a pleasure to see you again, Naomi." Professor Cavanagh said while smiling kindly at the lovely girl, shaking her hand as well.

"It's a pleasure to see you too, professor. This party is so lively and fun." Naomi said, giving him a radiant smile.

"I'm delighted you enjoy them." Professor Cavanagh answered before he returned his attention to his niece. "Selena my dear, how long have you been in Miami? I wish you had given me more notice. You know, I do look forward to your visits."

Selena smiled sheepishly, tugging at stray strands of her brunette hair. "I was going to call you! But you know how I get sidetracked easily..."

Her voice trailed off as Lauren watched her, studying her features. Her words were beginning to get jumbled together.

'She always had a habit of talking fast when she got excited.' Lauren thought to herself.

A moment later it occurred to her. Lauren just remembered something about Selena, a fact she recalled from when they were young, from her childhood. Her eyes narrowed somewhat. Selena was still talking animatedly to Professor Cavanagh and her eyes flickered over and met Lauren's for a moment. Her smile widened slightly and then she looked back at Professor Cavanagh and continued talking. Seeing her smile, a flash of the little girl's face came to mind.

'Could she be the same girl?'

The following morning...

Musical laughter filled her ears as Lauren jumped off the tree she had climbed, landing against the soft grass below. She sat down cross-legged as she laid down several apples she had plucked from the apple tree.