Chapter 13 END

Chapter 13

The early morning haze crept through the window as Lauren grudgingly got out of bed. She quietly slipped into her business attire, making sure to be extra silent when passing Harry and Naomi's room.

When she had arrived the previous evening, Harry and Naomi weren't home yet. Knowing this, Lauren went into Harry's room and turned off his morning alarm. She knew when he would go and see Hiddleston the next morning Harry would only worsen the situation by blurting his objections to whatever Hiddleston would have to say. Thus, Lauren decided it would be easier to face the man alone, without Harry's boisterous presence.

When Lauren arrived to the Jauregui Architecture building, she ascended the many floors via elevator, waiting patiently as the machine came to a halt at her floor. She absentmindedly dragged her feet to the board meeting room, knowing full well that Hiddleston had heard the news about the bestowing of the POLARIS Laboratory project rights despite the information only coming out just last night. Lauren didn't need a memo on her desk telling her that her superior wanted to meet with her. She could practically sense it the minute she left the party last night.

When she reached the door, she sighed quietly before raising her fist and knocking twice.

"Come in." A low voice said.

Lauren stepped inside, closing the door behind her. Plants stood at each corner of the room, a large rectangular table residing in the middle. Large, cushioned chairs bordered the table as Hiddleston sat at the head of the table, speaking quietly with a few other Jauregui Architecture board members.

When his eyes flickered over to Lauren, he motioned for the other men to leave the room. They quietly complied, filing together and leaving through the door in the back of the room.

"Lauren. Have a seat." Hiddleston greeted, his fingers lacing together as he propped his elbows on the table.

"I'll stand." Lauren replied monotonously, remaining close to the door.

Hiddleston chuckled. "You seem very tense today, Lauren."

The raven haired girl remained quiet. However the silence didn't last long. Hiddleston glanced at the documents laid out before him, shuffling a few papers before speaking once again.

"I must say, Lauren, I'm disappointed. I saw potential in you. You could have overthrown Harry, perhaps even myself but you couldn't even do one simple task. You let yourself get distracted by a pretty face no less. We had an arrangement, Lauren. You know what happens next." Hiddleston clicked his tongue, his lip curling in a disdainful sneer.

Lauren's eyes shifted to the corner of the room.

"However, I'm feeling merciful today. We have received a proposition: a business merger with another big company just like Professor Cavanagh's Laboratory. It's a base for weapon invention and research." Hiddleston continued.

Lauren lifted her head to look at the man. "A weapon base? Is it from the government?"

"No. The weapon base is for a man who has money and connections."

"So you're saying this is an illegal project without the government permission? Does Harry know about this?" Lauren hissed through gritted teeth.

"I'm saying the estimated projection of incomes is in the billions. And if I remember correctly, your father asked me to run this company. I give the order." Hiddleston stated arrogantly.

"You're willing to risk prides and the company for money?"

"Billions, Lauren."

"This company is like a child to my father and you dare to use it for your own good? Once the government find out about this, we'll be arrested!" Lauren scolded Hiddleston who just smirked.