41st Letter: I Smile

November 04, 2019

Dear Future self,

You should see my playlist now.

It's still a little mixed up from the one I sent you before, but I love the new song I just added into it. The title is, I smile by Day6.

I'll tell you about the two versions of this song and the story of each version.

First, there's the Day6 version. The original one. I had it downloaded long ago but never actually listened to it since it didn't have any meaning to me yet. I'll tell you later about the meaning and its reasons but first, I just want you to listen to it again. Put your headset on or play it on your speaker or whatever. What do you remember?

I started listening to this song after former Stray Kid's member Woojin officially announced his exit out of the group. It's also the day I found a black kitten at the office. The day before Halloween and up to this day where things are a little hectic and a mess. You know, it's been a little bit sad out there in the world. Monsta X Wonho left the group, BTS Jungkook was in some kind of accident, my chicken is missing, and the remnants of Woojin's memories are still circling around the internet. I went through this day without having any interest in meaningless conversations and it's kind of sad because I left my charger at home and it's Got7's comeback and I missed it. And Cha Eun Woo is so handsome but I can't fall in love with him because he's just too perfect and so many have loved him already that I don't think I still have some space left in his heart. 😂
And around this time at 11:11 pm, before I'm writing this, I was watching Encounter, that one Kdrama I always wanted to watch before but never had the chance to. But now I have that chance and time and I'm making the most of it.

So what's all of these got to do with I Smile the Day6 version? I'll tell you what.

Do you how it feels like when you're watching such a wonderful kdrama like Encounter and every scene in it feels like destiny and serendipity and all stuffs like that and there's good music playing in the background? It doesn't have to be an OST of that drama. It's just that when you listen to such a good song like I smile by Day6, it gets stuck in your mind for a long time. Then when you watch a kdrama and everything in it is really good and romantic, you just keep hearing the song that's stuck in your mind. I guess it seems like you just made your own version of that drama, directed it and it just feels too good.

Then you remember all the bad things that happened these past few days and the song is still playing in your head. While you think of Woojin leaving Stray Kids, the song is playing. Wonho leaving Monsta X, Jungkook in an accident, Cha Eun Woo and Park Bo Gum never becoming yours, your pet chicken being missing, missing Got7's comeback and leaving your charger at home. While you think of all these things, that one song is playing in your head. And the whole world suddenly feels amazing.
I can't quite describe it properly but I hope you still remember how it feels. To me, it really was overwhelming and inspiring.

Now about the Woojin version.
This was actually the one that led me to listen to the original one.
There was a video of Woojin singing this song while playing the piano. It's nothing interesting but the fact that he's not part of Stray Kids anymore just made the song a whole lot special to me.

There will never be another one like this. The video was a good memory to remember and whenever I miss him I just have to watch that video again and cry my eyes out as much as I want. It will always be the video I'll cherish over and over again. It means a lot to me. It really does.
And I hope it's the same for you.

Write me soon of what's going on there.
Until then..

Love always,
magicshop