Chapter 19

Walking outside I could feel that winter breeze blow past me, the snow melting now, cars driving by, the few birds chirping. All of it was so beautiful. I felt like I should have gotten down on my hands and knees to kiss the ground, but I couldn't because of the cast and well that's disgusting.

I approached my mother's car, looking at my reflection in the shine of the car. I looked like I just walked out of a boxing match, and I was the one who lost. I still had some of the stitches, wrapped into my skin, the purple blue marks on my face, my lungs still ached, and my ribs were still stinging.

I opened the car door, and inched my way in. "Let's go." I said finally getting situated. My mother started the engine, and drove off from the hospital. I laid my head back on the head rest, trying to relax, and hide all of my excitement from leaving that prison.

We got home in no time. I limped my way up the stairs to my room. I kicked the door open and took in a big whiff of the air. Oh how I missed the scent of my house. The lively smell of it. I limped in, looking around, looking at it all like I haven't seen any of this stuff in forever, which I hadn't. Everything was they way I kept it. My bed was still half made, the covers messy yet nicely made, my shoes were still organized, my computer was on when I left, it's now shut off, but other than that everything was the way I kept it.

I was practically crawling over to my bed, my foot hurt so bad I just needed to lay down. My bed felt like a bundle of heaven. The hospital bed was soft, but after awhile you began to sink in it, so it would get uncomfortable, pus they were so tiny. My bed was roomy, and firm, yet soft.

The next day my alarm went off at six in the morning. I looked at it, and rolled my eyes closed. I hadn't realized it, but I fell back asleep.

"Man, man, wake up." I heard a voice calling me out. "Come on, you have to get up to school" Ian yelled out to me.

"I don't want to go." I mumbled.

"You have to go, you haven't been to school in over a month, you have to go and catch up a little bit." He demanded.

I let out a loud sigh. I sat up in my bed slowly and grumbled at the world. I yawned, scratched my head, and started pulling my clothes off and putting new ones on. I didn't get all fancy, like I use too. I put on a baggy blue tee shirt, sweat pants, and my Nike shoes.

I got off my bed, and started walking down the stairs, well limping down the stairs. "Wow, don't you look sparkling today." Ian joked.

"Yeah, got to look my best for a bunch of people I don't care about." I inched out the front door to Ian's car. He closed my door for, walked over to his and started to car up quickly.

"Are you ready for today?" Ian asked me.

"Let me tell you." I sarcastically said.

"I tried gathering up as much of your work as possible, but the teachers stopped handing it out to me." He said handing me a bunch of papers.

I eased my way looking at each paper carefully. "Seems like all of this would be a bunch of fun doing, if I was going to do them." I laughed.

"What? You're not going to do them?" He asked.

I pushed the button to automatically roll down my window. "I don't think so." I said, throwing the papers out of the window. I pushed the button again, and smiled at Ian. "Problem solved."

"No problem isn't solved. I don't know what has fully come over you, but this isn't you. You are a person who's smart, knows what he wants-"

"And I want you to shut up." I hissed. "Just stop. I want you to stop telling me how I should live my life.

"You're my friend, I see an issue, and I want to help." He was concerned.

"I see an issue too, you telling me what you want me to do." I cocked a smile at him.

"Whatever man." He said as we pulled into his parking place at school. I got out of the car fast, slamming the door behind me.

Walking through school was a rough day. I was getting asked questions about the crash, how it happened, where it happened, if I had any cool scars to show, and if they could see my bruises. Lastly though, I was also getting a lot of awkwards stares from people.

By fourth period I walked up to Isabella. "Why am I getting a bunch of deafening stares?" I asked them.

"Well I'm not sure how, or when, but they all figured out you were gay." She shook her head, while getting books from her locker.

I felt a sharp pain in my ribs, I was uneasy after hearing that, but I had to keep my head held high. I mean more than half the school liked, well was talking to me, so there must have been no problem, and the little left were the ones giving me their cold glimpses.

I started to hear all sorts of things coming from those people calling me a queer, faggot, and gay. I honestly didn't care. I was so over caring about stuff like this, and I had a way to prove to all of them that I didn't care.

At lunch after waiting impatiently in line for my food, I got to sit down at my table. I still heard the faint whispers, people talking about my crash, me being gay, all day all I heard was me, me, and more me. I stood up at my table and let out a loud cough. "Listen up." I yelled loudly, grabbing my ribs from the pain I just caused them.

Everyone stopped talking just to face me, eyes glued on me, popping out of their heads. "Just to make it nice and sparkling clear I am gay. There you go, say what you want about it because I don't care what you people think anymore. Enough said." I roared loudly, still grabbing my ribs. I sat back down at the table, to only hear the applause of what I did after words.

After lunch I went to my sixth period teacher and told her I was sitting in the nurse's office. She allowed it. Truth was, I didn't go to the nurse's office, I went into the gym, knowing it was empty this period and placed my body down on the dirty floor. As dirty was it was, I just needed to lay back for a little bit.

I heard the door open, and if I was in this room, skipping class a couple months ago, I would have been scared from the risk of getting caught, but as of today I didn't. The person wasn't yelling at me, or scolding me for skipping class, instead the person sat down beside me.

"Hey there." Brett's voice ran through my ears.

I looked over at him. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

"I'm here to win you back." His voice soothed me for a second before snapping back to reality.

I laughed. "Have fun with that."

"You really have changed a lot."

"Well jeez, thanks for noticing, I mean you are part of the reason I've changed." I informed him.

"Look, Landen, I am sorry. I really am, what I did, well what I did was unforgivable, but all I'm asking is, somewhere in your heart could you find it possible to forgive me?" His voice saddened quickly"

"Brett, there is no heart left, that left me awhile ago. All there is now a shell of what I use to be." I snickered.

"I know somewhere in that shell is the real Landen, pleading to be released." He argued the fact of it.

"Maybe there is, but he isn't much of a fighter." I responded.

"Well then I want to help bring him out. I want us to go back to what we were before New Year's."

I laughed. "Go back to hiding, and feeling overwhelmed? Nah I'm good. I'm not going to be out to the entire school, and you just sit back and not be by my side." I replied.

"But." He went to say.

"No Brett, it's done, over, no more. End of conversation." I ended the conversation. I pushed myself up, having trouble getting up. Brett tried helping me. "Don't, just leave me." I screamed at him. I got off the ground. I limped my way out of the gym, wondering the halls until the next class begun.

Wow, Brett sure does keep getting pushed away. I feel bad for him, but he did do this to himself, but maybe..... Just maybe Landen should be a little more understanding. What do you think?