ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 6

––Past/present Annabeth––

"So...what exactly are we up against?"

Future Percy shrugged.  "Some creepy spirit things are possessing campers and forcing them to do mean things, and you're all helpless against them."

Future Annabeth shot him a look.

"What? It's true."

"Well, from what we've seen, Eidolons like to hide within their host until you make a move to get them away. And we're not helpless, because we've gotten rid of them before." Future Annabeth glanced around. "We just have to knock a few campers out."

Percy, who walked beside Annabeth, sighed. "Is this it? Is this what my life is going to be like from now on?"

Annabeth flicked him. "Stop with the dramatics."

But Future Percy and Annabeth shared a laugh.

"This isn't even close to what you'll be up against."

They didn't elaborate, and both Percy and Annabeth swallowed hard.

Annabeth fingered her necklace. "How do we know if someone is...you know, corrupted?"

Future Percy looked around. "It might take a while for you to realize."

"Why isn't everyone searching for them?" Percy asked, eyeing Travis Stoll, who was slipping something into Katie Gardener's pocket.

Future Annabeth unsheathed her sword, studying it. "If we'd notified everyone of the intrusion, than the intruders would know to stay hidden."

Future Percy slipped a pen from his pocket, uncapping it, and Percy gasped.

"You got to keep it?"

Future Percy smiled. "Chiron will give you Riptide on your first quest."

"What are you doing with your weapons?" Annabeth asked, wondering if she would need her own dagger to incapacitate her friends.

Future Annabeth hooked her arm in Future Percy's. "We thought we'd get some training in."

Percy cocked his head. "Should we be doing that?"

Annabeth shook her head. "Shouldn't we be on our guard? Sword fighting just seems...rash."

Future Annabeth twisted the sword in her hand. "You guys can go around, interrogate a little. Percy and I will keep an eye out while being productive."

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Okaaay."

"Plus," Future Annabeth continued, "We'll get bored just sitting around. This way, we'll multitask. Feel free to join us."

She turned on her heel and made her way to the arena, Future Percy in tow.

"Hmm." Annabeth turned to Percy. "Okay. You take left, I'll go right. If you see anything suspicious––but only if you're sure––render them unconscious. Got it?"

Percy fidgeted, definitely putting ADHD on display. "How, exactly, do I knock someone out? Especially if it's, like, Luke. Or Clarisse."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You'll figure it out. Plus, Camp Counselors have a meeting soon in the Big House, which is on my way."

Percy nodded, and turned to go, but paused.

"Hey, Annabeth?"

"Yeah?"

Percy faced her. "Have you noticed anything...I don't know... weird, about them? Us? I mean––you know what I mean."

Annabeth turned in the direction of the arena. "I talked to them last night. They didn't tell me much."