ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16

{ past / present percy }

Percy smiled at the ballpoint pen settled in his hand. Riptide just felt right. And that was a welcome comfort for Percy currently.

He tucked it safely in his pocket like he'd seen Future Percy do and looked around Cabin Three. He nodded, content that the sword was all he'd need.

Percy was to meet Annabeth at the top of the hill, ready to make the trip to Olympus along with their future selves. He'd never been there, and he couldn't deny the nervousness in his gut, but he felt ready. Future Percy had given him a hope––the hope of a father. Something he'd yearned for ever since his mom had married the wretched Smelly Gabe.

Percy did feel almost like he was letting Sally down by putting her aside to make this quest, so he promised himself he'd try to figure something out when he got there.

He exited the Poseidon cabin, silently pleading that when he returned, it'd seem more like Dad's Cabin, rather than a strange deity who'd caused his life.

Percy saw Annabeth (unsurprisingly) already standing atop the hill, Future Percy and Annabeth beside her. He picked up his pace and made it up. Before Annabeth could pester him about being late, he asked, “How are we getting there?”

Future Annabeth had a newly sharpened sword in its sheath attached to her hip. She chewed on her lip. “We could take the van...but Argus might not lend it to us. He's always been territorial when it came to that delivery van.”

“Why don't we have him drive us?” Annabeth asked.

“There's no point in dragging someone else from camp to Olympus. And we'd need a ride home.”

Percy didn't voice the fact that he'd feel better with Argus along.

“We could persuade him to lend it to us,” Future Percy said. “It's either that or a taxi. And we'd have to wait for that.”

Future Annabeth nodded. “Alright. Let's go.”

Annabeth held up a hand. “I'll do that. Wait here.”

Then she was sprinting down the hill, her curly hair bouncing in its ponytail. Five minutes later, she returned with a pair of keys.

/

Percy and Annabeth slid out the back door of the van while their future selves stepped out of the front.

Future Percy had driven them, leaving Percy slightly impatient for the day he'd be able to get behind the wheel.

“Alright,” Future Annabeth said. “Get up there and get us some information.”

Percy tried to look at the top of the Empire State Building, but the morning's mist made it difficult. He couldn't help asking, “How?”

Annabeth stood beside him, her arms crossed as she too took in the building before them. “I was thinking we should straight up ask them about Moros. That way, we can gauge their reaction to determine if there's any point coming here.” She looked to Future Annabeth, almost looking for confirmation.

Future Annabeth nodded. “It could work.”

Annabeth watched her carefully. “But...”

Future Annabeth smiled. “You might just want to hint at it. Dance around what you're really trying to get out of them.”

Percy frowned. “So...you're asking us to trick twelve gods?”

“Eh,” Future Percy said. “They might not be in the mood to share inside information right now. This is probably the best way to attempt it without getting hit by coincidental lightening.”