ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15

[ future / present percy ]

“I'm going with you.”

Past Grover had gotten over his shock for the most part, and had begun insisting he go with them. Percy understood his reasoning, but it just wasn't the right time.

“There's already four of us. You'd be great, Grover, but it would just be too much,” Past Annabeth said.

“And we only need to make a quick stop at Olympus. From there, we'll be back here sorting things out and making a plan,” Annabeth added.

The two past demigods sent her a quizical look.

“I've never been on one, but that doesn't sound like much of a quest to me,” said Past Percy.

Annabeth fidgeted with her necklace. “Olympus is definitely not boring. And if Percy and I show up all of a sudden, it sure won't be.”

“Which is why we won't,” Percy said. “And besides, once we get what we're going for, it's going to get crazy.”

“How do you know?”

“I just do.”

“Wait,” Past Annabeth furrowed her brow. “Did you say you weren't going to come?”

Annabeth shook her head. “We're coming. But when you two head up, we'll wait outside of the Empire State.”

“Why would you do that?”

Annabeth shrugged. “For all we know, Apollo could be behind this. The gods mess around here and there, and if they were to see us, a ton of things could go wrong. You guys are from this time, and don't know much about what's going on. So you walk in, innocent and clueless, and get the information we need.”

Past Annabeth chewed on her lip. “It does make sense, so I won't take offense. But still––we're the spitting image of each other.”

“We're in New York. No one cares,” Past Percy cut in. “What I don't understand is what we're going to get out of them. From what I'm hearing, they're just as helpless as we are.”

“I learn fast,” Percy muttered, nodding his head.

“The goal is to get the information without them knowing. Most of the gods probably don't even know what's going on,” Annabeth explained, ignoring Percy.

Grover chewed on a plastic fork. “I feel like I'm invisible over here.”

Past Percy pat his shoulder. “Don't worry, G-man. I'll bring you a souvenir.”

Grover shook his head. “But I'm supposed to protect you!”

Percy shared a look with Annabeth.

“The best way you can protect him is to stay here,” Past Annabeth said gently. “Four of us, two of which descend from Poseidon, is enough to attract an entire army of monsters.”

Grover huffed. “Fine. But you have to tell me how awesome I am in the future when you get back.”

Past Percy had told him about the Iris Message earlier, and Percy could tell it was still on Grover's mind.

If only he knew that he'd become the Lord of the Wild, and had managed to meet Pan, his idol.

With the deal sealed, the four demigods stood from the table and began the walk to the cabins. Percy could tell his younger self was troubled, but he didn't bring it up.

When both of the daughters of Athena began a conversation, Percy nudged him and gestured for him to follow as he split from them.

Past Percy fell into step with him, his hand in his pocket. Percy saw the small tip of Riptide moving and his suspicions were confirmed.

“Excited for Olympus?” he asked.

Past Percy made a face. “Eh.”

Percy nodded. “So you're nervous.”

Past Percy looked at him incredulously, then seemed to remember he was staring at himself. Of course he knew what was going on.

They walked in silence for a few more paces.

“I was too,” Percy said. “I mean, my first trip was under different circumstances, and quite a few gods wanted to kill me, but it wasn't because of that.”

Past Percy nodded. He seemed to overlook the statement about killing. “Dad.”

“You know it.” Percy took a deep breath of salty air as they approached the lake. He'd planned to take a walk with Annabeth right about then, but he figured it could wait.

“I know exactly what's going through your head. ‘Where has he been? What kind of dad is he?’ You think you'd be better off not knowing him.”

Past Percy shook his head, and Percy knew he'd played his part well. He'd implied something only partly true.

“I do wonder how he could leave my me and my mom like that, and why he's never come around. But I want to meet him. I mean, I want to see him for myself. Determine if he's worth it or not.” Past Percy kicked the sand beneath his sneakers.

“You want to give him a chance?”

“Of course I don't. But I guess everyone deserves one...even him.

And there's the fatal flaw, Percy thought.

“Smart.” He turned to face his younger self. “In case you were wondering, I've been through everything you have and more. I understand it all better than anyone ever will. I get the hesitation, and the hate, and the loneliness.

“Which is why I'm telling you to listen to your gut. Give Poseidon that chance.”

Past Percy regarded him with interest, a sort of intensity in his eyes.

“I don't know if it counts for anything, or if you'll ever remember this when it's all over, but he's your dad. And for the record, it's really nice having one.”

As if Poseidon had heard him, the water from the lake seemed to sparkle just a bit brighter.

And Percy knew he had done that all right.

a / n : so this kind of feels like a filler chapter, except all of the information is vital to the story. so maybe not.

thanks for reading !!

peace out in demigodishness and all that,

~ grace 💙 💙 💙