ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13

{ future / present annabeth }

Annabeth wasn't actually sure what was happening.

One moment she was preparing to beat Percy, the next her vision tunneled.

This was not how she'd planned this out.

All she could see was black. It felt like someone had stuffed wax into her ears and she'd put on the worlds darkest shades.

“Percy?”

Oh, no, Annabeth. Not Percy.

Annabeth went rigid. “Kronos.”

Good, good. You haven't forgotten me. I was worried––

“We've come a long way from playing with losing Titans, Kronos.”

The spirit laughed maniacally. It was a mistake using that Herme's scum as a host. I was blinded by his potential.

Annabeth wished she could see him. She wasn't sure where his voice was coming from, or if he was near her or not.

“What do you want?”

Want? Oh, I want a lot of things. Don't you? No, I'm not here to read you my wishlist.

Obviously Kronos had picked up sarcasm in Tartarus.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to pay you a physical visit. I can speak to you now because of the time situation. You're in the past, I'm in the future...kind of my thing.

Annabeth tried to shake her head, but couldn't exactly move.

“Why are you here? Now?”

Now? As in, right this second? I simply needed to distract you for a few minutes. I can let you go now, if you'd like.

Annabeth's heart beat quickened. “Stop playing games with me.”

Games? Oh, Annabeth. I don't play games anymore.

As soon as his voice left her mind, all Annabeth knew was pain.

Her head pulsed with the kind of pain she could only suffer through for so long. She felt herself regaining consciousness, falling to her knees, but she couldn't focus.

She gripped her head and cried out. Where was Percy?

“Percy!”

And then there were hands gripping her own, calling her name.

“Annabeth! What's wrong? Annie?”

That was not Percy.

The pain increased, and something clicked back into place.

Annabeth gasped and caught her breath.

In her confused state, she swung at the indistinct figure in front of her.

“Ow!”

It took her a few second to register Past Luke, holding his nose, lying on the ground in front of her.

Annabeth didn't stop to apologize, looking for Percy.

He was right where she'd last seen him. Except now, he was on the ground, gripping his hair with trembling fingers.

Annabeth jogged the few feet and slid to her own knees in front of him.

“Hey! Percy, look at me.”

Percy didn't seem to realize she was there yet.

Annabeth took his hands in hers and pulled him into her, gripping him in a tight hug. “Breathe, Percy. Come back to me, come on.”