ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12

{ past / present percy }

Percy watched as the small brown dot, also known as Grover, climbed up the hill.

As he got closer, Percy began to make out his colorful hat and curly hair. He watched as Grover impatiently kicked off his sneakers so that his hooves were visible with a smile.

Percy, admittedly, still wasn't used to them. But after meeting himself, six years older, it didn't weird him out as much as he'd thought it would.

Grover had been visiting another satyr at a middle school nearby for a few days.

Boy, did he miss a lot.

"Grover!"

Grover waved. "Hey, Perce!"

Percy gave him a small side hug. "Missed you, G-man. It's been weird being a demigod without you around."

Grover laughed, a baa slipping out. "Nah, you don't need me to be the son of Poseidon." He frowned. "Any news on that?"

Percy shook his head.

Grover opened his mouth to speak, but closed it when he spotted someone behind Percy.

"Oh, hey, Annabeth!"

Annabeth stood further away, watching the two reunite. "Hey, Grover!"

Grover and Percy made their way towards her, and Annabeth put her hands on her hips and eyed Percy.

"What're you up to?" she asked.

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Since when do I have to tell you?"

Annabeth narrowed her eyes and turned back to Grover. "Whatever. Let's get going."

Grover nodded, looking slightly confused, but relieved to be home.

Percy waited until the perfect moment, then said, "Annabeth?"

Annabeth hummed in response.

"I challenge you to a duel."

Annabeth stopped abruptly and turned to him. "You want to fight me."

Percy nodded. "Yep. And I want Grover to referee. That way, we won't have any cheating."

Annabeth snorted. "Cheating," she muttered. "I don't cheat, I win."

Percy shrugged. "Prove it."

Grover stood nervously in between them, unsure of what to say. "Maybe I should just...let you guys be?"

Annabeth shook her head. "No. I think I understand now."

Percy tilted his head. "You do?"

Annabeth smiled a little. "Yes, you dork, and I'm sure I came up with it. Let's go. Grover, you'll referee. Wait for us to get some armor."

Grover opened his mouth to speak, and then shut it. He opened it again. "Why?"

Annabeth shrugged. "Percy learned a new trick. He wants to show off in front of his best friend, and I'm going to humiliate him."

time skip brought to you by monster donuts ✓

Grover chewed nervously on his t-shirt, tapping his hoof while he waited for Percy and Annabeth to show up.

What had gotten into them? Why first thing? He'd only just arrived home.

But Percy and Annabeth were both determined to fight, and Grover wasn't going to stop them. That was like suicide.