ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 18

{ past / present annabeth }

“On your left, you'll see the original tile work that has survived since the station was opened. Since they weren't fatally damaged, our staff fixed them up the best we could instead of replacing them. The proof of their long years is obvious, huh?”

The small group laughed a little before following the tour guide woman as she continued on.

Percy leaned towards Annabeth. “Anything?”

Annabeth stopped admiring the building around her to think. “Nothing that I can see. It all looks normal.”

Percy nodded. “Same here. And I'm bored.”

Annabeth rolled her eyes. She glanced at Future Percy and Annabeth, who were behind them. They both seemed to be enjoying themselves, listening to the tour guide and pointing things out to each other. Annabeth wasn't sure how much of a good idea that was, considering their objective. But she let them be.

“What exactly are we looking for?” Percy asked. “I mean, it's not like he'll just be chilling around the corner, waiting for us.”

The two stopped walking when the tour guide stopped to explain something else, and Annabeth eyed their surroundings suspiciously. “I hate to admit it, but you've got a point. I want to trust Hestia, but something doesn't add up here.”

Percy grunted in agreement. He ran a hand through his hair. “I don't like this feeling I'm getting.”

The tour guide began walking away again, and Annabeth went to follow. Before she could take a step, a hand on her shoulder held her back.

Future Percy also had his hand on Percy's shoulder, and Annabeth shot him a confusing look. She watched the group get further and further ahead of them, until, finally, Future Percy spoke.

“That's what you call instinct.” It was directed at Percy. “And I've got the same feeling.”

Annabeth realized she'd dropped her guard. Future Annabeth stood close to Future Percy.

“And usually there's only one reason for this potent of instinct,” she said.

Annabeth looked at Percy, surprised by the lack of panic conveyed on his face. He looked. . .calm, despite the next word they both knew was coming.

“Monsters,” Future Percy and Annabeth chorused.

“How can you be sure?” Annabeth asked. She was willing to trust her own instinct, but that didn't mean it was always right.

“We probably shouldn't have said anything,” Future Percy said. “Usually, when you say something's about to go wrong, it does.”

Annabeth's hand brushed against her dagger. “Do we have a plan?”

“Of course we do,” Future Annabeth answered. She made her way over to the large clock structure at the center of the room casually. Future Percy followed.

Percy shrugged and trailed after them, Annabeth behind him. They watched rigidly as the older girl observed the clock with fascination.

Future Percy took a seat on the one of the benches surrounding the structure, stretching his arm across the back of it nonchalantly. “Relax,” he said, his tone serious but his face lighthearted.

“What're we doing?” Annabeth made few conversational gestures as she spoke.

Future Annabeth started humming carelessly as she pointed to the different roman numerals on the lit-up clock. Future Percy watched her intently.