Bye

I lean on the door, waiting to wish Joy good luck for the expedition. My eyes scan the horses, not finding Joy. I sigh, and, give up when they start to leave. My limping as stop, but my arm and torso are still injured. I slowly open the door and flop onto the bed. I stare at the ceiling, for hours, before sleeping.
                                   ....
I wake up to someone's knocking. A muffled, " Can I come in?" and I say yes. Maddie comes in, her face pale and bags under her eyes. I rub my eyes and look outside. It's early morning, so they must've come back from the expedition. I turn back to her, and raise my eyebrows. They should've come late night, yesterday. Maddie doesn't meet my eyes. Tears stream down her face, she starts to shake violently. "I-I'm s-so sorry, A-amanda." I get up, ignoring the pain in my torso. I wrap my arms around her,and even though I'm afraid of the answer, I ask, " Sorry for what?" She looks at me, her eyes puffy and red already. "I-I c-couldn't save h-her, Amanda." My eyes widen in fear,  and I let go of her. She trembles and takes out a small package, wrap in white paper. She hands it to, and I hesitatly take it from her hands, my own hands starting to shake. I unravel it very slowly, scared of what it will reveal. When I finally unravel it, drops of water spatter the white paper. I don't realize it, until I feel something wet on face and go to touch. It was my tears. I sob as I look down at it. It's Joy's hand, and it shows the ring from so long ago.
                                ....
Joy giggles as Levi throws her up and down. I put my hand on my mouth to stop myself from laughing. He eventually sees me and scowls. He sits down in a nearby chair, with Joy in his lap. I decide to sit on the floor, in front of him. I play with Joy, and she starts to say something. "Ma, mah," My eyes widen with surprise, but then I smile and help her pronounce it. "Mama, mama." "Mahma, mahma!" I chuckle as she says those words. My eyes show pride and love for her. Levi hands her to me, and I try to make her stand. She claps her hands, and giggles. Levi gets up and goes into another room and comes back with a small bag. He crouches to my level and puts on an oversized ring on Joy's finger. I smirk and say, " You actually cared enough to remember her birthday?" He stares at me and says, " No, I just found a ring with the letter J on it, and decided to give it to Joy on this day." I roll my eyes and laugh. He scowls as he takes Joy from my hands. I get up, and smile softly as Joy sleeps on his shoulder.