she was right

Above: the café Harry and Ev visit in this chapter (and continually throughout the book)

____________

Ara smiled at me as we pulled up to Evelynn's office. "Babe, I'm in love with a fall wedding. I mean, the colours on the trees and the temperature. It's all to die for, if I'm being honest." She smiled to me, and I nodded, agreeing with her. "Fall is lovely. I think that's a great time of year to get married." I smiled cheekily at her. "I can't wait to tell Ev!" She said, practically running into the building.

We've been planning this wedding for a week now, which really isn't that long, but Ara and Evelynn are practically best friends. I know that Evelynn is just doing her job and really trying to bond with Ara over our wedding, but I just wish Ara didn't get so attached. It seems like Evelynn gets incredibly annoyed by Ara's presence sometimes and I can't help but laugh.

But, Evelynn is cool. She's really supportive and fun, which makes planning a wedding slightly less stressful, especially when it comes to avoiding the press. There's no giant sign that says she's a wedding planner on the outside of her building, which means that pictures of Ara and I going in here are meaningless.

The one thing that keeps me coming to these meetings is talking with the guy who works the front desk- Jack I believe his name is. He's a fan of my music, so we have lots to talk about.

"What's up man?" Jack says to me as I follow in behind Ara. "Not much. Yourself?" I asked him, leaning over the counter. "Just working on this assignment. I came in to work today but Evelynn told me to take the morning to finish a paper I have due. She's a fucking angel." Jack said, typing away on his laptop. I smiled. "So, are you guys like, a thing?" I pressed, taking some candy from the bowl situated on the front desk. I could hear Ara and Evelynn talking in her office, so I knew we were safe.

"Me and Ev? I fucking wish, man. She's a dedicated woman, and she's gorgeous as hell. I would give anything just to take her out one night. But she's so focused on her work that she barely leaves this place to head back to her flat and sleep. We're only one year apart so I think about us being together all the time. But I don't think she wants anything right now." Jack sighed.

I nodded. "Why does she work so much?" I found myself growing curious. Jack shrugged. "Something about trying to prove her Dad wrong." I raised my eyebrows. "That sounds rather serious."

"Well, I don't really know the details. She doesn't talk about it much. She doesn't talk about anything much, just work." Jack ran a hand through his hair. "Anyway, how's that new song coming?" I chuckled at his attempt to change the subject. "It's good. But hey, if you want the girl, you have to get her." I winked at him. "I know, I know." Jack sighed.

I found myself thinking about Jack and Evelynn. They're both extremely attractive people, this is true. But he didn't seem like he was entirely invested in her. She's more of an elaborate dream that he thinks about and believes he can't have, but still insists it would be amazing if he could.

"Hey, I never asked. How did you meet Ara?" Jack's question snapped me back into reality. "Oh, yeah. She worked wardrobe on my tour last year. When the tour ended, I asked her out. It all happened pretty quickly." I shrugged. "Wait, so you've only been together for just over a year?" Jack asked me. "Yeah, but she's the one. I feel it in my heart and soul." I replied, feeling butterflies in my stomach when I thought about how happy she makes me.

"Nice man. That's what we all want, isn't it?" Jack pondered, just as Evelynn and Ara walked out of the office. "Harry, you're going to have to meet Evelynn at this venue tomorrow to check it out. I can't be there because I have meetings all day tomorrow, but take pictures, okay?" Ara said. "Okay, no biggie. That's all?" I say, wrapping my arm around her shoulders.